Notices

Fix a flat bottle.

Old 12-04-2004, 03:10 AM
Tankard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix a flat bottle.

I've always plugged my tires myself. Sometimes the plug will leak slowly, requiring air to be added every week or so. Anyway, i've usually sovled that problem by adding a can of fix a flat also. It's always worked in the past. This time i put a whole bottle of truck and suv stuff in my crx tire. Big mistake. It was obviously to much. When i get to 50mph, it starts bouning like heck. Off to the tire store i go today. Hopefully they won't charge to much dismount, get all of that crap out,patch it from the inside, and rebalance it.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:11 AM
augy

Today, I ate a doughnut.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:54 AM
Tankard

Originally Posted by augy
Today, I ate a doughnut.
Just trying to tell people not to use fix a flat crap thinking it will solve a slow leak in a plug which it usually will solve. That is beacause it may cause the tire to go out of balance. This board is for giving and receiving knowledge is'nt it? I ate a bacon and egg sandwich today.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:36 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

I haven't eaten anything today, but that sounds like a good idea. :chuckles:

Fix-a-flat is really only ment to be an emergency fix until you can have it fixed properly, like a patch. I don't trust plugs myself, just one of those things.

Good luck with getting it fixed, tire guys hate fix-a-flat. Huge mess.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:46 PM
augy

Originally Posted by Tankard
Just trying to tell people not to use fix a flat crap thinking it will solve a slow leak in a plug which it usually will solve. That is beacause it may cause the tire to go out of balance. This board is for giving and receiving knowledge is'nt it? I ate a bacon and egg sandwich today.
hee hee :kiss: s'all love.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:27 PM
mullinator

In my experience, I've never had a plug leak. I wouldn't call myself an expert but I'll put it this way-- I have 5 sets of plug tools in my toolboxes. And one or two plugs. I've always tracked any leaks down to another nail/screw/glass/tack/bullet in the tire somewhere.

If you take a wheel into a shop w/ a whole can of Fix-A-Flat in it, don't use your real address when they log your car into the books!! -scott
Old 12-08-2004, 11:39 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to use fix a flat properly i think that you should put a lil in and drive fora while, then do it again, and again, get an even layer everywhere in the tire
Old 12-10-2004, 01:50 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally Posted by DRfrank
to use fix a flat properly i think that you should put a lil in and drive fora while, then do it again, and again, get an even layer everywhere in the tire
That doesn't make a bit of difference. Driving slings the stuff where it needs to be and heats up the fluid and gas so that the tire will increase pressure, until you can add more air.

More food for thought: Fix-a-flat works by slightly melting the rubber inside the tire into a goo that can fill whatever hole you have. It is possible to have a tire patched after you've used it, but generally, you should replace it if you have to resort to fix-a-flat. Driving a long time with that stuff in your tires can soften the rubber compound, shortening the life, and might even lead to tread seperation.

Seen it happen.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:15 PM
S2Kev

Originally Posted by 1stGenCRXer
That doesn't make a bit of difference. Driving slings the stuff where it needs to be and heats up the fluid and gas so that the tire will increase pressure, until you can add more air.

More food for thought: Fix-a-flat works by slightly melting the rubber inside the tire into a goo that can fill whatever hole you have. It is possible to have a tire patched after you've used it, but generally, you should replace it if you have to resort to fix-a-flat. Driving a long time with that stuff in your tires can soften the rubber compound, shortening the life, and might even lead to tread seperation.

Seen it happen.
:werd: That stuff likes to eat rims and tires. It is definitely just for temporary use until you can get the tire repaired.