Notices

Problem starting

Old 11-26-2004, 11:25 AM
acuraattackura

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem starting

OK 90 CRX HF has had a 94 non vtec block and 96 vetec head on it well the old tranny went out and i had to swap it out i put a tranny in from a 89 si well now the damn thing wont start i didnt disconnect anything on the engine but i have everythi9ng hooked up
-batery good
-connections are ok
-starter go (had it tested)
-got power to starter both wires

Wondering were does the sarter ground to and if i only have 1 bolt in would that effect it any help would be appreciated thanks
Old 11-26-2004, 01:38 PM
1990CivicSi

So the starter isn't turning over the motor? It's just spinning and not biting the flywheel? I don't get it. We're gonna need more info.
If everything is lined up, your starter is ok, and you have adequate power, I have no clue.
What sound does it make when you try to start it?
Old 11-26-2004, 03:45 PM
90_crx_flaze
Drift King

do your have your cylinder head grounded and your tranny grounded
Old 11-26-2004, 09:48 PM
augy

I don't remember what the honda starters look like, but I replaced the starter on my brother's 84 grand prix, and his starter had 3 bolts. 1 of them was obviously the battery positive cable connection, but the other two were not clearly marked as being the connection for the ignition wire. I connected the ignition wire to the wrong bolt. I would turn the key, and nothing at all would happen. I used a test light on the ingition wire and it would light up, and the starter was new. Well, turned out, I picked the wrong bolt. Make sure you've got everything connected up to the right place. If you're feeling brave, pull the starter off and set it on the ground. Use jumper cables to go positive battery to the positive battery terminal on the starter, then negative battery to the chassis of the starter. Put your foot on the starter (away from the teeth, foo)then use a screwdriver or something to jump from the battery terminal bolt to the ingition bolt. Your starter motor should whir to life, and you can eliminate the motor and the battery as problems, leaving only the wiring.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:52 AM
acuraattackura

ok the when i turn the key nothing happens at all i did the test with the jumper cables and starter worked. when i turn the key the key do not engage the flywheel
Old 11-27-2004, 06:52 AM
acuraattackura

how do i ground the tranny
Old 11-27-2004, 10:09 AM
acuraattackura

i guess my tranny just isnt grounded right if anybody has any info on howto do that i liked to hear. but i did fix the problem with the starter i ran a ground wire to the negative terminal and that ground the starter
Old 11-27-2004, 08:33 PM
augy

If your tranny is bolted to your engine, your tranny is grounded.

Are you certain that the ignition wire is attached at the same spot you tested the starter with? If it is, you need to have somebody get in the car and attempt to start the car while you're underneath it with a test light checking for current. There should be current through the ignition wire ONLY when the key is turned to start. If your test light doesn't come on, you've narrowed the problem to either the ignition housing or the wire. If your starter works, it's bolted to the tranny, it's connected to the battery, and there is current to the ignition circuit, it must work.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:55 PM
acuraattackura

yea it works now i think that the bottom bolt of the starter is striped out in the block so i think thats were it is not grounded