Notices

Newbie with a starting problem

Old 11-23-2004, 09:38 AM
Mark Finley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with a starting problem

I'm sorry, if this is an obvious problem, but I just got into hondas, and I'm need somebody to show me where to start. I tried searching but couldn't find the situation that my car is doing.

THis morning, my car 1990 LX witha 1.5) started stumbling when I accelerated. It would even out after I took my foot off the gas and reached the speed I was aiming for. When I was at a light, I could watch the tach move up and down and listen to the car battle to stay running. Eventually, it died, and wouldn't restart. It turns over, but it has no signs of ignition. I'm thinking coil, distributor, or a fuel pump, but I've new to hondas, and even fuel injected cars themselves, so could you give me some tips on the best way to check to see if I'm getting fuel from the pump, and how to continue to trouble shoot the problem?

There was no check engine light, do I still need to pull back the carpet to see if the light is flashing?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11-23-2004, 10:08 AM
1990CivicSi

There's really no use in checking your fault codes. I woould recommend pulling a plug to check for spark. If none, take a good look at your cap and rotor. They're cheap, so replace them. If that doesn't do anything, pull your coil. I have replaced 2 coils in my civic. With one, the car didn't start at all. With the other, it just quit completely.
If you are getting spark, loosen your fuel pressure release to see if your fuel pump is pressurizing your system. (have a rag handy). If it is pressurizing, check your injectors?
Someone else may have some better ideas than me, but that's where I'd start.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:16 AM
Mark Finley

Sorry for the dumb question but what is a fuel pressure release, and where do I find it? I have a service manual, but that part isn't listed.
Is it the service bolt on top of the fuel filter?
Mark
Old 11-23-2004, 10:25 AM
1990CivicSi

yep.
Do you have spark?
Old 11-23-2004, 10:41 AM
Mark Finley

Originally Posted by 1990CivicSi
yep.
Do you have spark?
That was easy, THANKS! Checked the fuel first, and I'm getting lots of fuel out the Service bolt.
I take it that means the fuel pump, filter and relay are all good, so I guess the next step is to check for a spark. I can do that when my family comes home, I need somebody to turn the key while I'm looking at the spark, unless there is an easy way to jump it from the engine compartment.
If it's in the ignition, What's the best way to tell if the problem is from coil, igniter, or the distributor cap/rotor?

Mark
Old 11-23-2004, 02:46 PM
Mark Finley

Problem solved, it was the coil/cap/rotor. I pulled them off and they all looked like death warmed over (the rotor was wobbling) and now it runs perfect, better than it did when I bought it, and I thought it sounded good then.

Thanks for your help,
Mark
Old 11-25-2004, 01:58 PM
1990CivicSi

I'm happy to hear you got that fixed. There's no sound as sweet as a honda.