Notices

Manual trans question.

Old 11-15-2004, 10:48 AM
Tankard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual trans question.

It did not go in first is why i changed it(the trans) out and asking this question. Now, it shifts through all the gears fine;however, it will not go anywhere like it's in neutral in all the gears. This is a used trans from a salvage yard. I can jack the car up, and spin one tire and the other one will not spin. Am i correct in remebering that the other tire should spin also when you turn one of them. Is there anything in a manual trans that could go bad to make it not go anywhere in every gear? I've already talked to the dip craps at the salvage yard, and they will not give me my money back. They have a policy where you have to take the car to them with the trans installed , for them to see it's damaged. That would cost me over 100 bucks for the tow fee and my time. Could i have accidentally installed something wrong, which i doubt, or does this sound like a messed up tranny? I'm thinking i may have to break down both of my trannys and use parts out of both,to make one of them work. Thanks for any info.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Did you use a new linkage to trans roll pin ("bitch pin") of proper size?
Old 11-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Tankard

Originally Posted by Kai
Did you use a new linkage to trans roll pin ("bitch pin") of proper size?

Nope. Please let me know what your talking about. Nevermind. You must be talking about the pin that connects the shifting rod to the trans itself. That has nothing to do with my prob if thats what you mean.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:12 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

For the tire spinning thing, in a non-LSD car, the other wheel normally won't spin.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Tankard

I'm still scratching my head here. I can turn one of the things that the cv joint goes into with a pair of pliars. This is off course with my old trans that is now out of the car(the one that would not go in first). When i turn one side, the other side turns. I think i can recall turning one wheel and the other spinning. Does anybody know this for sure. This will confirm my new used tranny being offically messed up if it is suppossed to. I'm also thinking it could be my clutch disk stripped out on the shaft. I kind of forced the tranny onto it and it would not go. I then took the clutch disk back off and had to dremel it a little to make it slide easily onto the shaft. I could have dremeled it to much causing it to slip on the shaft.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:38 AM
ED9man
driver

In the open diff cars I've seen when you spin one tire the other goes in the opposite direction.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Mackenzie C

me too
Old 11-21-2004, 03:02 PM
Tankard

Problem resolved. Yes, when you turn one wheel the other turns on a 91 crx si and all hondas as far as i know. I did not have one of the cv joints locked all the way into the trans. I thought if you could get the disc rotor wheel thing back on, the joint would automatically be pressd in far enough. Obviously not.