Notices

chevy 350

Old 10-29-2004, 10:49 AM
augy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chevy 350

My buddy, who's into domestics, was at my house yesterday and casually mentioned that I should have put a smallblock chevy 350 in instead of my dohc zc. He says that coincidentally, the 350 will fit nicely into the 2nd gen crx engine bay. Anybody done this before? If so, I'm very interested... I know these egnines can get insane torque, and driving my crx I almost forget what torque feels like.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:27 AM
AlmostSir91

There's a video out there somewhere with a 90 CRX, and a blown350 in it. It's got huge slicks, and it's RWD. I can't imagine that be a "straightforward" swap, and VEERRRRY expensive.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:45 PM
augy

I know the video you're talking about; the rex had tires that were like 3, 4 ft in diameter, right? That wasn't what my buddy was saying; the engine would be latitudinally mounted, keeping the car fwd. It would post MUCH higher numbers than any honda engine and the engine itself would cost ~900 for a rebuilt one. There will be extra expense for custom mounts if there isn't a kit already, but nonetheless, the bang for the buck would be extraordinary.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:08 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

That's quite a custom job, especially to keep it FWD. How in the hell would you bolt up a tranny to that? I'm not sure if the tranny internals could even stand up to the task. I guess you'd have to find a tranny out of like an Intrepid or something like that.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Fire
wanna run

dont even waste your time. it would be a waste of effort and time. if this is what you want go buy a 67 camaro and drop a 502 with a ford 9" rear end in it. your poor crx wouldnt stand a chance, and frankly unless you have insane pockets and build cars only to be stared at and make a few straight line runs, you dont stand a chance either. this would definitley be a bad idea. basically nothing on a crx could handle this. as a novelty it would be cool i guess, there are also jacked up 4x4 CRXs, but if you actually want to feel torque there are many other options that would last years, not seconds. even an H series motor would make this car very difficult to turn much less a 350.

turbo a b18c5 or c1 or buy a domestic =)
Old 10-29-2004, 05:18 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by augy
He says that coincidentally, the 350 will fit nicely into the 2nd gen crx engine bay
The engine itself will fit into the bay with the help of a really big hammer and a big hood scoop.

The transmission will be sticking out of the passenger's wheel well. The car obviously won't be able to move... not to mention how heavy a cast iron V8 is, along with matching trans.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:08 PM
augy

Originally Posted by Kai
The engine itself fill fit into the bay with the help of a really big hammer and a big hood scoop.

The transmission will be sticking out of the passenger's wheel well. The car obviously won't be able to move... not to mention how heavy a cast iron V8 is, along with matching trans.
So you're saying it can be done...

Well, not to insult anybody else who responded, I appreciate the input, but when Kai says it's stupid, it's stupid. I'll be sure to pass the sentiment along to my friend.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:12 AM
ED9man
driver

common sense says its stupid too.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:14 PM
augy

Just as a follow up, turns out the guy had to move the firewall back, fabricate custom motor mounts and torque bars (it was RWD after all), etc. etc. He races it up at sears point out here in Cali. Definately not as simple as my friend made it out to be. I'm steadily learning not to trust anybody I meet in real life.

*strokes his computer* you're the only one I can trust...
Old 10-31-2004, 03:03 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Oh, yeah, if you're really good with a welder, you can do it. You have to pretty much adapt the entire rear end from another car onto the body and cut out room for a transmission/driveshaft tunnel, and run a fuel cell to get the tank away from the differential. Fun stuff.