Notices

Please someone I need engine help!

Old 10-08-2004, 12:08 PM
redcivicforever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please someone I need engine help!

Hi here's my story, its long I know, but if you have some time please read it and help me if you can.

I've got a 91 Honda Civic Hatch DX 1.5 with 165,000 miles BUT it runs like a new car it really, idles smooth, no leaks, has never broken down in the 5 years i've owned it. lately its using/burning more oil it now uses a bottle every 1-2 weeks. It smokes often now, mostly when I shift, take off from lights and accellarate. I love and have taken good care the car. I've maintained and expected to get more miles on it. I think Honda's are better than american cars but know Fords with more miles than my car!
But I was told my engine is worn and should be replaced or rebuilt, which I need to get done to pass emissions which are due January 05'. but in my search for a engine I was told that in Denver where I live (by mom and pop shops-not dealers) it'll cost $2,000 & up just for a used engine installed (no guarantee I'll be any better off than I am now) let alone a rebuilt or new which is totally unaffordable for me.
I've been told by people in other states online that I should pay anywhere from $300-$800 for an install of any engine. I've found some good deals on used engines some imports from Japan with aprox. 40,000 miles on them for around $450.00 including shipping.

Does anyone know where around Colorado or nearby surrounding states where I can get a reasonable deal to install or rebuild engine? I just need a reliable mechanic who can do it sometime soon. Please let me know anything that might help....I appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks in advance.
--I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO CHANGE THE OIL LET ALONE REBUILD OR INSTALL A ENGINE-- (sorry but whenever I ask someone what they think I should do they always say " just install it yourself")
Old 10-08-2004, 12:39 PM
v8guy
Professor

I can't help you find a good shop in Colorado, but you should definitely be able to find a better deal than $2000 for a used engine installed. $1500 tops.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:29 PM
AlmostSir91

Talk to GJ at G-N Performance. I've known GJ for a long time, and he's a Wyotech graduate. Really reasonable rates. (303) 435-8779.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:08 PM
redcivicforever

Default Thanks AlmostSir91, I love you!

You were right, Gj's great! And by far the best deal I've found. I appreciate your help and the info. Let me know if I can return the favor...
Old 10-12-2004, 12:48 PM
AlmostSir91

No problem. Good luck with getting things fixed up.