Notices

dx potential

Old 08-06-2002, 09:58 AM
excitid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dx potential

Is it possible to make up the lost power between a dx and an si with bolt ons. I'm wondering how much power the basics would add to the dx motor and if it would even be comparable to a bone stock si. I know the si gearbox would be helpful and I know most all the stuff put on the dx motor will work on the si engine but this is a project I'm gonna start with my little brother and I rather not let him spend money on stuff that will make more noise then noticable power. If possible can any dx hatch owners post their stock times and modded times and their experiences with performance parts.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:01 PM
skubb
not that TLC sh!t either

I have to tell you man. I'm new to these crx's but I know my dx 99 hatch is pretty worthless to mod. for these little economic cars your gonna have to atleast have a sohc vtec engine and tranny to have any fun really. even then basic mods will not do very much.

if intake, header, exhaust, and pulleys all together gave you 10hp throughout the rpm band I would be very surprised. and all that could easily have you spending $800 if you find good deals. I can get bolted up 97 vtec full swaps all the time for that much.

I'd suggest ya'll start with suspension, progressive rate springs, front strut bar, rear sway, possibly better shocks, wider tires. then when she can cover the twisties well save up the money for a swap.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:47 PM
excitid

this is my first encounter with a dx hatch for other then around town duties. Its gonna be funded by my lil bro and his part time job. exhaust is cheap, homemade cold air is cheap and the header would be the only expensive piece. Would these basics make any noticeable difference.
Old 08-07-2002, 10:28 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

for the price of a nice header...just find a civic/crx si engine (a used working engine go for around 300-400 including most parts [engine/tranny/distributor...then 50 for an ecu]) you will have to convert to mpfi but you could rewire the harness or get a conversion kit from hasport

poontang or jdblack (can't remember) has a junkard turbo'd dx...i'd look him up and check out his website
Old 08-08-2002, 04:13 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

MPFI conversion would give a nice jump to start with :thumbup:

Otherwise, junkyard turbos= :jawdrop:
Old 08-08-2002, 05:47 AM

Default Re: dx potential

Originally posted by excitid
Is it possible to make up the lost power between a dx and an si with bolt ons. I'm wondering how much power the basics would add to the dx motor and if it would even be comparable to a bone stock si. I know the si gearbox would be helpful and I know most all the stuff put on the dx motor will work on the si engine but this is a project I'm gonna start with my little brother and I rather not let him spend money on stuff that will make more noise then noticable power. If possible can any dx hatch owners post their stock times and modded times and their experiences with performance parts.
its got the potential to piss you off cuz its so slow,thats about it
Old 08-08-2002, 07:29 AM
CRZEX

The MPFI Conversion and a Si Cam would be a good start.:thumbup:
Old 08-08-2002, 05:18 PM
Vince
*Uncle Ben's best friend*

A guy I recently raced at a local drag event had a modded Dx. He had completely stripped the insideof the car to the bare metal, only had the driver seat. The guy made times on the 1/8th mile of 10.80 seconds, and my best time with my stock 95 Integra Rs was 11.05.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:22 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally posted by Vince
A guy I recently raced at a local drag event had a modded Dx. He had completely stripped the insideof the car to the bare metal, only had the driver seat. The guy made times on the 1/8th mile of 10.80 seconds, and my best time with my stock 95 Integra Rs was 11.05.
My modded DX ran a 9.6 on a horribly slipping clutch and full interior, it's still not quick by any stretch, in a second gen DX, stripping the interior will get that much improvement... I still say a MPFI conversion will give the highest intial gain...
Old 08-09-2002, 03:04 PM
Sickboy

Before my engine swap, I had run a 11.2 1/8 mile on a bone-stock 200,000 mile dx engine, with one cylinder only putting out 80psi compression and full interior, spare, etc. According to my g-tech, my 0-60 was like 10.1 seconds... after getting a header and intake, dropped to 9.1, then I got a catback exhaust and a race cat (straight through, basically a resonator), which dropped the 0-60 to a best of 8.1. Not too bad for bolt ons, but I never got it back to the track before I put in the B16.. now I can do 0-60 in under 7.

Rob

Quick Reply: dx potential