Notices

First Engine Pull!

Old 01-02-2004, 07:42 PM
Magik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Engine Pull!

That's right after tomorrow I will no longer be an engine 'virgin'...I am pulling the D15B1 out of my old (smashed) STD. I'm actually quite excited about it...
I know, I know...big deal...but hey...any words of wisdom from anyone?

If not...wish me luck!

Jason
Old 01-02-2004, 07:55 PM
kd5dbl

Good luck dude... I haven't quite gotten up the nerve to pull mine out for a swap...

What are you putting in it? ZC? B16A?

--
Dave
Old 01-02-2004, 08:10 PM
Magik

Actually for now I am putting the D15B1 in my Si that I am driving...the Si was actually my 'parts' car for the STD...before the accident...the Si had a swap done already and it has the D15B2 in it...but I think it needs piston rings, maybe a head gasket...not sure...but it is blowing smoke like mad!
So I am pulling the STD engine to put in the Si with the MPFI from the Si and go from there...
I might rebuild the B2 over time...but I don't know...

Jason

PS> Can't afford to go out and buy an engine right now...only got $1K from the insurance for my car...but I know I have a perfectly good engine in the STD...sooo...
Old 01-02-2004, 09:43 PM
slammed91-hatch

you could easily find a full swap for a b18a or zc for a grand.
Have fun pullin the motor out, I did my first one a week or so ago. The axles and the shift linkage were the most time consuming. The rest was pretty simple.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:14 AM
Magik

Axles are already out from when I changed both wheel bearing/hub assembly's...and that was $1K Canadian...which is about 700 US. The cheapest D16A6 (stock) engine I could find was 500 CDN plus tax and then I had to have it put in...why spend the money if I have a perfectly good engine sitting there?

Any other suggestions guys...I'm off to start in an hour...

Jason
Old 01-03-2004, 08:17 AM
crxb16er

when u are undoing all the nuts and bolts its alot easier if u slide a section of pipe over the socket wrench to add more torque, alot of stuck bolts the first time u take the engine out, and use a pair of pliers on the hoses and twist them sideways to break the corrosion free b4 removing them that makes it a ton easier, and on the motor mounts only one side moves so make sure u get the right side or else ur just gonna be cranking on a welded on nut that the motor mount bolt slides thru, ummm besides that its just time patience and a few beers, oh and DO not just put ur nuts and bolts on the ground put them in plastic bags or in a designated place, its a bitch to find them later if u just lay them on the ground, ive done this so many times its not even funny, i waste the most time doing stupid crap like that, i can completely rip the engine out of my crx in about 45 minutes by myself and put it in in about 1 1/2 hours, but ive done it so many times now... if ur the virgin id definitely be the whore. lol lets just put it that way.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:53 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

do it slowly and watch out for unconnected lines, etc. (we all make mistakes...also always take out the alternator and radiator...the potential for damage to those is pretty big

i always also remove the exhaust header just for more room and so i can see more of the engine

good luck
Old 01-03-2004, 08:52 PM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

well, tell us how it went!!
Old 01-03-2004, 09:52 PM
Magik

DONE!

Took two of us approx. three hours and the engine, complete with, tranny is out!

Wasn't near as hard as I thought...after the preliminary part of making sure everything is disconnected. The axles were already out from when I changed the hub assembly's a week ago and I had already disconnected the exhaust from the 'front pipe'...after the electrical portion was done...did the shift linkage. Then started on the mounts after hooking up the puller chains...got those out and now it's sitting on a skid on the floor...ready to go back in the Si.

:thumbup:

Jason
Old 01-05-2004, 07:21 AM
Magik

Just a quick question guys/gals...

I am about to have the D15B1 out of my STD dropped in my Si and am leaving the Si MPFI in the car...here is a list of things I know I should bring to the guy that is doing it...have I left anything out?

Antifreeze
Oil
Intake Manifold Gasket

Is there anything else that I should be bringing him that I'm not thinking of???

Thanks,

Jason