Notices

operation BLOW UP carb honda block

Old 12-26-2003, 01:47 AM
itechengineers
PC's_N_CaR_EnGiNEeRiNGMaN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default operation BLOW UP carb honda block

hey everyone.... i need a few thoughts.... i have an 87 crx d series DX carb motor. of course im getting a setup to swap but myfriend boosting said i should have fun with my carb before i let it go, I know i can get a NOS kit for a carbed honda.... but how about boosting a carbed honda.... this friend of mine does have a few toys I can use to boost/blow up the carb block before i pull it out... but can it be done? can one install a turbo to a carb honda d series motor? has a carb'd motor ever been boosted???? ideas and input.... lemme have em!
Old 12-26-2003, 08:19 AM
crxb16er

of course it can be done but why blow it? save it put it in ur garage, use it for parts, whatever no reason to waste it and spend time and effort only to destroy something. save ur money for the new engine.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:23 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

To boost it, you need some kind of blow-through carb.

Nitrous is easier.

Those old 1.5's are still worth a few bucks, though.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:09 AM
wagon89

I think it would just be a waste, You might have the money for a motor swap, I have seen one person try and blow up a motor by being abusive with it only to wreck their car.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:36 AM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the last guy to ask this kind of question eventually got banned from this site [doIhaveBDIs]
Old 12-28-2003, 08:09 PM
itechengineers
PC's_N_CaR_EnGiNEeRiNGMaN

Why would someone get banned for posting that subject? Its LEGIT, 87 crx post under the CRX/CIVIC fourm and im sure there may be some other freaks out there who may have thought about boosting a carb honda block. this 87 rex i just acquired has a small 12 valve block with around 70 HP and surprisngly it keeps up with a lot of other vehicles, which is why my friend and i suggesting to boost it and see how it does before i yank it out for something else! i really dont care who says what, that thing does move for a baby block honda....... hey hey.... im not bashing anyone with my words either so hopefully no one with take offense....
Old 12-29-2003, 06:03 AM
crxb16er

boosting it is fine, boosting it to try to break it and blow it up is pointless plus highly abusive on the car in general plus costs money when ur already gonna be saving for a new engine. leave the part about boosting it to blow it up and you'll get alot more responses... lol but good luck whatever u decide to do. ive kept a few blocks in my garage one being a d15b6 hf block which i believed was 65 hp or something like that and i picked parts off it for 2 years b4 i scrapped it. it was a great thing i didnt trash it b4 i swapped. used everything from bolts on the intake manifold, to the oil pan for a friends car, to the belt tensioner for my new engine, lots of stuff to move over in order to save money.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:18 AM
malfuncion
Z20 H8R

sorry to whore but bdi's got banned?

on topic, i didnt think it was possible to boost a carb'd setup. i thought you had to have fuel injection. now that i know, i might look into it for my chevelle when i boost it.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:24 AM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

offtopic: yep, he got banned. he caused too much drama in the basement and they ip banned him:yay:

back on topic, yes, you can turbo a carburated engine. iirc, you dont need necessarily need an ic because the atomization of the gas cools down the charge air. but its not as efficient as a FI turboed engine
Old 12-30-2003, 02:33 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

As I said before, you need some kind of blow-through carb or some way to reconfigure yours. Blow-through carbs are fully sealed, with jets big enough to support the boost needs. It will be more expensive and more wasteful to do that then to just blow it with some nitrous.

Besides, blow-through carbs are seriously old-school. I can't even name a car that used one, even the 12AT (JDM) turbo Rotary, of the first gen body, was the only 12A to have a turbo and strangely enough the only 12A to use fuel injection.