Notices

big time tranny problem?

Old 12-23-2003, 08:40 AM
mynameistin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big time tranny problem?

ok i dont know what happened, i was driving and i pulled into a parking lot and downshifted into 2nd gear then rolled into my spot. i then went to throw it into neutral and it just wouldnt go!?! ive changed the tranny fluid checked that hte rollpin is still in there (it is) i checked underneath the car and the whole linkage is moving and such but it just wont get out of 2nd...i even tried to use some force to get it out but it doesnt seem to wanna budge? anyone else had this problem...someone please help thanks
Old 12-23-2003, 08:43 AM
crxb16er

ok guys ive been talking to this guy on the im for a bit and i couldnt help him, seems like something is binding and making it so that the shifter/shiftlinkage doesnt pull out of 2nd, anyone ever heard of anything like this??? already checked and made sure that everything is connected right and that its actually pulling outward but seems its physically stuck. never had this problem myself so im directing him to you guys for more ideas.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:04 AM
AwwsChwA

does the linkage physically move? Or is the shifter locked into 2nd gear position? I'm confused by what's been written so far.

Have you tried disconnecting the shift linkage at the spring pin and trying to shift the transmission with a pry bar?
Old 12-23-2003, 10:25 AM
excitid

was the tranny having any problems before this, any grinding or popping out of gear bearing noise etc. I had the same problem with mine and it was my wonderful clutchmasters clutch had started breaking apart. It was a few years ago so I can't remember the actuall terms the guy used but I had a beaten on that clutch terribly and it withstood the hell but it became very loud and chattering and then it got stuck in gear on its way to the shop. I got a replacement it went back to normal.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:26 AM
mynameistin

no i have not tried that actually....i just maye try that hrmmm need to get a pin punch anyone remember the size it should be?
Old 12-23-2003, 10:27 AM
mynameistin

excitid, nope not at all no grinding no nothing before i did punch it into first 2nd and third but then i cruised normal like a mile back to where i was then pulled into the parking lot downshifted and never came out since
Old 12-23-2003, 10:33 AM
excitid

I would check you clutch cable also probably not it but its worth a try since its easy adjust.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:37 AM
mynameistin

well i cant even get it into neutral and i shouldnt even need the clutch for that...but i did drive it home from the place i was at in 2nd gear...stopped at redlights reved it high and went
Old 12-23-2003, 12:07 PM
crxb16er

if u can disengage the clutch by stepping on the pedal then thats not ur problem, its somehow physically binding somehow inside the tranny, id say fill it full of mtl and then try to pop it out put the car on a lift and pull like crazy on the shift linkage or connecting ponit for the linkage.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:55 PM
mynameistin

i was thinking jack that sucker up....disconnect the actual linkage from the mount (not to hard i can already do so) and the ntake a sledge and hit the mount and see if it knocks it out of place