Notices

help installing oil temp gauge

Old 12-10-2003, 02:44 AM
mike6024

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help installing oil temp gauge

I'm just not sure how this is supposed to work. If I replace my oil drain plug with this sensor, oil would just slip right through the hollow bolt, and that's only if the bolt actually fit. You can't really tell in the picture, but it has a larger diameter than the original drain plug. Is there some place near the oil filter that I can tap? Or do I need a sensor more specifically for my car?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
collage.jpg (50.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 12-10-2003, 05:36 AM
jc836

The location of the sensor 'should' be in the pan using a suitable 'bung' welded on the side. The drain will work but is not a sound solution. Taking the pan off, drilling a hole in the side above the drain for the fittings and welding it on will give you a much more accurate and leakproof connection for the sender.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:03 AM
cstem

Default The car already has an oil temp sensor

The temp sensor is in the back side of the block. Remove it and replace with your guage sender. The oil pan trick would work but be careful- Front wheel drive cars typically have shallow oil pans with little clearance to the crank and oil pickup. You need to pick your spot carefully so the sender will not hit these.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:30 AM
jc836

Allow me to correct the info. The sender for Oil Pressure is located on the back of the block. The Oil Temp sender should be mounted on the pan parallel with the ground so that it does NOT hang down at all.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:35 PM
mike6024

So I weld the bung on and screw the bolt into the bung, but I don't see how the oil won't leak through the hollow bolt. You could weld the sensor onto the bolt, but then when you tightened the bolt the cord would turn with it, which wouldn't be desirable.