Notices

2001 3.2TL - AC and fan fail together intermittently

Old 06-30-2008, 01:38 PM
wbc@thevine.net

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I finally got it loose. It was more or less welded/melted together. My guess is that the "female" side of the plug is a nonremoveable part of the blower motor. So, I will have to try to clean that side up and make it work or have to replace the blower motor @ $150.

The "male'" side of the plug is toast and will have to be replaced as you suggested.

You are also correct about the design flaw with short wires that have turn 90 degrees out of the plug and (bonus) are exposed to occasional harrassment from passenger feet.

Thanks for all your help and let me know if you can think of any tips from here on out.

Jerry (wbc)
Old 06-30-2008, 02:16 PM
scott5455

Haha, glad I could help. In the meantime I see you are in CA so you might want to jerry rig it - I cant remember if the female end has holes in each terminal end, but if it does you might want to just tie the wires in so you are able to breathe in your car. Tips? Since you're already down there, why not change your cabin air filter? Should take you about 20 min, and the new filters (yes, there are two) should cost you about $20 for the pair. Don't go crazy replacing stuff though, no need to spend hundreds of dollars and spend a day of your time when buying a new plug will do the job just fine.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:25 PM
wbc@thevine.net

I ordered the replacement part from the dealer for $10 and he'll have it in a couple of days.

I just tried to "rig" the wires in temporarily - no dice. No room to tie the wires in. I cut the melted plastic off of the male plug thinking I could just plug the wire ends onto the other side but realized that they would only short out without the plastic insulation.

Looks like I'll be sweating out that part arrival. Thanks for all the help.

I'm sure I'll be back.