Notices

water leak in Vigor trunk

Old 09-19-2006, 08:10 AM
G2Nice1972

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water leak in Vigor trunk

I have a 93 Vigor that is in fairly good condition. However, I've recently noticed a mildew smell in the car after it rains, so after searching thruout the car, I found water in the wheel well where the spare tire sits, along with rust, so it seems like this leak has been there for awhile. I checked all over the carpeting in the trunk, I don't see any stains from water damage on the carpet. Has any one here have a smilar problem? All the weather stripping appears to be fine, but I still have this leak somewhere. Any ideas?
Old 09-19-2006, 09:16 AM
MTEng

I know on older Civics water can enter through the rear tail lights. Are your lights full of water??

Also, has the car had any rear end colision damage??
Old 09-19-2006, 09:29 AM
G2Nice1972

Originally Posted by MTEng
I know on older Civics water can enter through the rear tail lights. Are your lights full of water??

Also, has the car had any rear end colision damage??
Now that you mention it, I did get a small rear end bump a couple months ago, it pushed in the rear bumper maybe a quarter inch in. Other than that, the rear end looks fine other than a couple scratches from the incident. I think I saw condensation one day on the left tail light months ago, but I haven't looked since. Think that's my culprit?
Old 09-19-2006, 09:36 AM
MTEng

It's possible. Look at this thread... poor guy !!!

Pull out the tail light sockets like you're changing bulbs and see if there's water in there... or if the sockets are corroded indicating there has been water in there.

I doubt a collision described as a "bump" woudl cause a leak.... but you never know.

You can climb in the trunk with a flashlight and have a friend (a real friend... one who will let you out of the trunk) run a hose over the trunk seals while you look for leaks. You may want to remove the plastic and pull back the carpet first so you can see.

Not sure where you live, but don't do this on a 100 degree day in the direct sun because it can get hot in there !!!!! Fold down the rear seat if you can.