Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Certified used car? i think not. BLAH help me out with what i can do.

Old 05-20-2006, 06:18 AM
skip259

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Certified used car? i think not. BLAH help me out with what i can do.

Ok, to make a long story short, i purchased a certified used 2003 accord LX from a dealership in Grand Blanc, Michigan. I currently live in MD now (500 miles away) When i got the car, i found numerous things wrong with it AFTER i had driven back to Maryland. I called honda of america and bitched about all the problems that were wrong with it, they covered about 1500 dollars worth of repairs. (new headliner, rust in the trunk, new windshield, some cosmetic work, replaced tires (they were below factory specs on speed ratings)

Now, comes last month, i had a flat tire at midnight, in the middle of nowhere and it's raining out. Muttered under my breath about the weather, and still attempted to change out the tire with a spare. Upon opening the trunk and looking in the spare tire bay, i see about maybe a quart of water sitting there, along with a bunch of marbles rolling around. I also realize that the tire wrench is not there, and also the metal rod used for the car jack is missing. Upon further inspection, i see that the WHOLE back end of the trunk has bonding material. which indicates that the car had been in a rear end collision. I called honda about this the following monday, and they basically said "sorry, it's between you and the dealership". My initial response was "well, do you certify cars that have been in collisions???" The rep wouldnt acknowledge my question. and said "any issues other than warranty service, you need to deal with the dealership where you purchased your car from."

So, i'm at a loss as how to deal with this. i STILL have not recieved my certification checklist even after the dealership said they'd send it out. Honda asked if i had recieved my copy, and i told them no, and it's been a year and i'm still waiting.

So, what can i do about this? I fear that since there's evidence of a rear end collision, it's going to 1) severly degrade the value of the car 2) it's going to rust out a lot faster than planned and 3) i'm going to be stuck with bouncing between a dealership that won't discuss this issue with me or honda will just say "sorry, can't help you out with this."

Any help would be great, and i can post pics if people want to see what the trunk looks like.

Thanks!
Brian
Old 05-20-2006, 08:15 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey I live in Flint, I've been to that dealer a few times Who did you buy it from? If you want me to kick someone's ass, let me know

You need to get in contact with Honda and explain your problem to a district rep or something. Be very assertive and they'll try to work something out.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:18 AM
skip259

Is that so? wow! I grew up in flint. lol

It's the Honda dealer in Grand Blanc.

I dont think dealing with a distric rep would help. where could i find this contact info? I'm right outside of Silver Spring, MD. So, if any of you honda reps are reading this, send me a PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:35 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course it would help, they're in the business of selling cars and maintaining their stellar reputation. Do a search on the 98-02 Accord transmission problems...they typically grant free repairs to any car under 100k miles even if it's out of warranty. You just have to be assertive and insist that the dealership is trying to screw you over, which they apparently are. Keep going up the Honda ladder until you find someone that will help.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:27 AM
skip259

Default could use a little help and feedback on a honda certified used car.

Ok, to make a long story short, i purchased a certified used 2003 accord LX from a dealership in Grand Blanc, Michigan. I currently live in MD now (500 miles away) When i got the car, i found numerous things wrong with it AFTER i had driven back to Maryland. I called honda of america and bitched about all the problems that were wrong with it, they covered about 1500 dollars worth of repairs. (new headliner, rust in the trunk, new windshield, some cosmetic work, replaced tires (they were below factory specs on speed ratings)

Now, comes last month, i had a flat tire at midnight, in the middle of nowhere and it's raining out. Muttered under my breath about the weather, and still attempted to change out the tire with a spare. Upon opening the trunk and looking in the spare tire bay, i see about maybe a quart of water sitting there, along with a bunch of marbles rolling around. I also realize that the tire wrench is not there, and also the metal rod used for the car jack is missing. Upon further inspection, i see that the WHOLE back end of the trunk has bonding material. which indicates that the car had been in a rear end collision. I called honda about this the following monday, and they basically said "sorry, it's between you and the dealership". My initial response was "well, do you certify cars that have been in collisions???" The rep wouldnt acknowledge my question. and said "any issues other than warranty service, you need to deal with the dealership where you purchased your car from."

So, i'm at a loss as how to deal with this. i STILL have not recieved my certification checklist even after the dealership said they'd send it out. Honda asked if i had recieved my copy, and i told them no, and it's been a year and i'm still waiting.

So, what can i do about this? I fear that since there's evidence of a rear end collision, it's going to 1) severly degrade the value of the car 2) it's going to rust out a lot faster than planned and 3) i'm going to be stuck with bouncing between a dealership that won't discuss this issue with me or honda will just say "sorry, can't help you out with this."

Also, there's tape residue on one of my brake lights and overspray on one of the identification tags which is located near the trunk latch area, and that doesnt explain why there's rust at the weld points. a dealer here said that it's pretty much welded after the car was put together. A little more about the history of the car - the headliner was replaced because there were water stains in the corners, and also when i found the rust in the corner of the trunk the first time, honda covered it as an act of goodwill. (there was a frickin' screw holding a body panel in place and the rust was working it's way from there)

Here are some pics. Can someone tell me if it's bondo material or if it's sealeant?

Thanks for your input everyone.

-Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bondo1-web.jpg (21.8 KB, 54 views)
bondo-2-web.jpg (26.9 KB, 49 views)
bondo3-web.jpg (45.6 KB, 51 views)
Old 05-21-2006, 03:38 PM
Hondapower80

Have you tried running a Carfax? Also, with the rust in the tirewell and the headliner being replaced, I hope you didn't end up with a flooded vehicle from one of the hurricane states. I would hound Honda and be persistent. Ask to talk to the customer service rep's manager, not just the low level rep.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:51 PM
LocoLT1

Sounds like you failed to go over the car before you bought it. Good luck w/the repairs.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:51 PM
skip259

I got my car before the hurricane hit the states. The rust in the tirewell is a result of a weld spot when some rear end body work was done. the only explanation i can think of with the water damaged headliner is the rear end was damaged, and it was sitting in the rain for a while before it got fixed up.

how can i tell if the trunk lid is the one that came with the car or not?
Old 09-19-2006, 06:14 AM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by LocoLT1
Sounds like you failed to go over the car before you bought it. Good luck w/the repairs.
:werd:,, that welding job does look kinda obvious even without removing the liner. Is there a lemon Law in Michigan?