Notices

Tranny, engine mounts, now wheel bearings.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:10 AM
kanattnew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny, engine mounts, now wheel bearings.

My 02 TL S lost the tranny at 65,300, no signs, just gone, drifted into parking lot at 6000 rpm. Luckily under warranty. Of course they found something they could try to bill me for at the same time, though. They claimed that 3 of the engine mounts were bad and needed replaced and if I did it at the same time I could save $100 and it would only be like $360. I said forget it, had the car for maybe a week and notice humming sound coming from front, try to ignore thinking it is something to do with new tranny, gets louder and louder, I take it to dealer with 67,129 miles, they say (in a happy voice) both wheel bearings are blown but luckily, yeah luckily, they have them in stock and it will only be $549. I call Acura Customer Service, the third time since I've had the car, and complain that this type of stuff should not be happening to a $30k car with 65k miles. They call back and of course say they can't help and that it is normal wear and tear. (1-800-382-2238, please call them with any and all complaints) Has anyone had similar crap happen to their car?
Old 08-16-2006, 08:00 PM
simplyredvw

I've heard of the local dealer telling a few TL owners about bad engine mounts when the tranny takes a dump. It's nice to make money from Acura and the owner on every car you service.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:43 AM
kanattnew

Yeah, I thought it was kind of interesting and convenient for them. I asked them if it would be noticeable and he said probably not right away, but after time when the car idled or when you accelerate it will rock or you might not notice it at all. So basically they just want to make the extra $360.

And of course one has nothing to do with the other, a malfunctioning transmission couldn't have any effect or pull on the engine. Completely unrelated. Just like the wheel bearings going bad right after they replaced the transmission. Acura customer service said they are as unrelated as having a problem with the engine and the radio. I found that a little odd being that the transmission is what moves the wheels, but oh well, I'm just some jackass who thinks a car shouldn't have a blown transmission, engine mounts and wheel bearings at 65k miles. Might as well buy a Cobalt if you want problems like that at 65k, at least you'll only spend 1/3 the price.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:38 AM
acutee

Bearing shouldn't go at 65k. If it is tear and wear, consider it premature wear. They should have covered the bearing or at least split the cost. you can have the bearings done at local shops for a lot less. bearings are not something special that needed to be done by dealers.