Notices

oil pan removal

Old 08-04-2006, 12:17 PM
RevHappy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pan removal

Ok I'm going to be straight about this, the drain bolt won't come out and it seems like its not the standard Honda/Acura bolt. We just got the CL recently decided to do a regular tune-up and found the bolt to be quite stubborn. Used a breaker bar and even vice grips to try the free the sucker loose. I had to take the car to the dealership earlier this morning due to the auto transmisssion being stupid so I asked about the drain plug. The rep said they can FORCE the plug out, however, putting an OEM plug is a different story... we might have to replace the oil pan (which was quoted at $500-600). I was thinking to remove the oil pan myself and replace it, but I have no clue how difficult it will be. If it was too troublesome, I was thinking about drillin' a hole into the pan and making a "new" drain plug. Can anyone with advice or tips? That'd be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:58 PM
maquereautin

i wouldnt drill a hole into the oild pan. Will probably cause more problems than it will solve. I would look on ebay, or find a used oil pan at a junk yard. Make sure its in good shape. And has the bolt(plug) screwed into the pan. Taking the old one off shouldnt be that hard. Just undo the bolts around the pan. And make way for all the oil that will start coming out.

You might loosen one side, and then take the bolts off the other so it comes out one side. Then dump the rest into a container. You might be able to get the bolt out after you get the oil pan out from under the car. Just remember to put a new gasket on the pan you decide to use. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2006, 01:32 PM
RevHappy

hey thanks maquereautin. so removing the oil pan doesn't require me to lift the engine up or remove any driveshafts? I have a Miata and it requires me to lift the engine to remove the oil pan. I'm praying it's nothing like that.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:05 PM
maquereautin

id hope it doesn't! good grief. Life the engine? what a hassle. it should just be right there on the bottom of the engine. there might be a cross member over to for protection, but i don't think you will need to lift up the engine to take it off. I haven't really given my new vigor a look under the engine so i don't know what the vigor or CL look like underneath. shouldn't be that much of a difference.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:34 PM
RevHappy

Originally Posted by maquereautin
id hope it doesn't! good grief. Lift the engine? what a hassle. it should just be right there on the bottom of the engine.
It is underneath the engine, its just a clearance issue with the cross memeber. Thanks for the response though. It's in the works.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:46 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Take it to a local garage and have them drill out the old bolt. Then have them re-thread it and then use a new bolt. Never over-tighten the oil drain bolt.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:08 PM
simplyredvw

Originally Posted by AcuraTL
Take it to a local garage and have them drill out the old bolt. Then have them re-thread it and then use a new bolt. Never over-tighten the oil drain bolt.
Most likely the threads will be jacked after this. Have the shop install a threadsert and use a new OE quality drain plug. This can be done on the car.