Notices

some problems with '98 3.0CL

Old 07-16-2005, 08:57 AM
eugeman41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some problems with '98 3.0CL

hey guys,

i just had a slew of problems come up just recently. first thing i was driving and the battery light came on and stayed on for about 40 minutes before turning off. after this i noticed a high pitched whining noise. also noticed that whenever going into high rpms (4500+) the battery light comes on. additionally, my headlights are real dim and they also flicker when i put on a turn signal. talked to an acura service rep and she said all 3 were due to a bad alternator. is that an accurate assessment? i have about 87,000 miles on it and i heard alternators usually go around 50,000?

one more thing, i've noticed shifting into reverse, a loud clunking noise. i changed the trans fluid and it didnt help. the rep told me its a bad motor mount. does that sound about right?

she gave me estimates of $425 and $330 including labor and parts. is that fair or can i find cheaper but similar quality of service?

thanks a bunch.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:12 AM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

I would have to concur with the mechanic regarding the alternator and bad motor mount.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 07-17-2005, 08:08 AM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely an alternator issue, I would check the Alternator ground, not sure on the price of an Alternator for an Accord, but if it's about $150 or so, I think it's not a bad DIY
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 07-17-2005, 11:17 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eugeman41
hey guys,

i just had a slew of problems come up just recently. first thing i was driving and the battery light came on and stayed on for about 40 minutes before turning off. after this i noticed a high pitched whining noise. also noticed that whenever going into high rpms (4500+) the battery light comes on. additionally, my headlights are real dim and they also flicker when i put on a turn signal. talked to an acura service rep and she said all 3 were due to a bad alternator. is that an accurate assessment? i have about 87,000 miles on it and i heard alternators usually go around 50,000?

one more thing, i've noticed shifting into reverse, a loud clunking noise. i changed the trans fluid and it didnt help. the rep told me its a bad motor mount. does that sound about right?

she gave me estimates of $425 and $330 including labor and parts. is that fair or can i find cheaper but similar quality of service?

thanks a bunch.
It could be (actually, probably is) a bad motor mount, but my tranny started making the loud clunking noise when it started to go. 40-50k miles later it died on me.

It's definitely your alternator. You can change it yourself for much cheaper by buying an alternator off ebay or even buying new Honda OEM and doing the work yourself. It's not difficult at all and takes about an hour. I changed mine and saved about $300.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:53 PM
eugeman41

thanks for the help guys. '98-02 v6 accord parts are pretty much interchangeable with my car, is that about right? anyone know where to pick up an alternator and how to change it?

one more thing, what are the pros/cons of a CAI vs. regular intake? i've heard with a 1st gen CL, short ram intakes are easier to fit? im not too knowledgeable with that stuff and i dont have anything in my car yet but an intake would be a good start i guess. thanks.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:56 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eugeman41
thanks for the help guys. '98-02 v6 accord parts are pretty much interchangeable with my car, is that about right? anyone know where to pick up an alternator and how to change it?

one more thing, what are the pros/cons of a CAI vs. regular intake? i've heard with a 1st gen CL, short ram intakes are easier to fit? im not too knowledgeable with that stuff and i dont have anything in my car yet but an intake would be a good start i guess. thanks.
Yes, they are. Get an alternator off ebay or just buy new from a good dealership that gives discounted prices like Manchester Honda. To change it, search in the Accord forum. Basically, all you have to do is remove the left fan for access (I think it's the condensor fan, but it might be the radiator) and unplug/unbolt the alternator.

For the J30A1, the short ram intake provides the best power gains, is by far easier to install, and less risky.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:17 AM
eugeman41

nevermind. the service rep misquoted me on the prices. turns out its $212 for the alternator and $88 for the motor mount. not too bad. but it could've saved me a lot of time and trouble if she told me the right price in the first place..