Notices

Pulsing Brakes on 99 TL

Old 07-07-2005, 06:58 PM
CragHack7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulsing Brakes on 99 TL

Just acquired a 99 TL with 26000 miles on it. Single owner, garage-kept. The thing is immaculate. There seems to be a problem with the brakes though. When the brakes are applied a pulsing-vibrating feeling comes through the pedal and sometimes shakes the steering wheel. The pulsing happens at low speeds as well as high speeds. It is more prevalent at high speeds, especially felt in the steering wheel. Previous owner stated that it had been like that since new. They said it was the anti-lock brake system. I have to trust them somewhat, since previous owners were my parents.

Have any of you had this pulsing problem in their 99 TL's? Is it a problem or just the way the brakes work? If it is a problem, how did you fix it?
Old 07-08-2005, 02:47 AM
alphaxxn
4500rpm hesitation

Originally Posted by CragHack7
Just acquired a 99 TL with 26000 miles on it. Single owner, garage-kept. The thing is immaculate. There seems to be a problem with the brakes though. When the brakes are applied a pulsing-vibrating feeling comes through the pedal and sometimes shakes the steering wheel. The pulsing happens at low speeds as well as high speeds. It is more prevalent at high speeds, especially felt in the steering wheel. Previous owner stated that it had been like that since new. They said it was the anti-lock brake system. I have to trust them somewhat, since previous owners were my parents.

Have any of you had this pulsing problem in their 99 TL's? Is it a problem or just the way the brakes work? If it is a problem, how did you fix it?

if it was ABS it should only be applied under hard enough braking to cause a wheel to start slipping. Sometimes a warped rotor can effect steering input. Might be worth a try to check runout on the front rotors.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:26 AM
bryknicks

It's prob. a warped rotor... you might want to look into finding out which one or one's it is
Old 07-08-2005, 12:05 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Warped rotors. You can try to get the resurface and cut so they are even again. But how long that is going to last, really depends on your driving style. I also have a 99TL and before I changed out all my brakes, I never had a problem with warped rotors and I drive my car pretty hard.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 07-10-2005, 02:41 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AcuraTL
Warped rotors. You can try to get the resurface and cut so they are even again. But how long that is going to last, really depends on your driving style. I also have a 99TL and before I changed out all my brakes, I never had a problem with warped rotors and I drive my car pretty hard.
A lot of people think I warp my rotors a lot because I drive hard as well, but IMO it's all about how you use your brakes...long, even pedal strokes will be much nicer to your brakes than the choppy, short strokes that crappy drives (and just about every woman I've ever driven with) uses.