Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

When There Are Items In The Trunk...

Old 10-08-2003, 08:16 AM
DJ Scotty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When There Are Items In The Trunk...

Does that affect bass? There are times I must use my trunk for carrying items, like everyone does, but will this affect the bass coming from my two 15's that are firing backward into the trunk? The items aren't heavy duty things; they are more like overnight bags, shopping bags, a jacket or two...
Old 10-08-2003, 08:18 AM
SiClone
X-Moder8er

It really shouldn't. Although, the overall volume of the trunk does decrease slightly when there is more cargo or stuff in there.

For example, when I come back from Sam's club with a ton of stuff in my trunk, I swear the bass is different, but I think it's just me....
Old 10-08-2003, 08:43 AM
DJ Scotty

Originally posted by SiClone
It really shouldn't. Although, the overall volume of the trunk does decrease slightly when there is more cargo or stuff in there.

For example, when I come back from Sam's club with a ton of stuff in my trunk, I swear the bass is different, but I think it's just me....
Yeah, I feel the same way----I could swear the damn sh**it hits harder when there's nothing in the back---like somehow the cargo is eating up the bass---I know what you mean----but it could be mostly mental; I do think some cubic space gets eaten up by putting things in a trunk, and it is physically affecting the basswaves....can anyone confirm this technically for us?

Thanks Si Clone.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:27 PM
oldskool

True, true. Put five pillows back there and there goes the bass again. It happens, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Perhaps use the back seat if you want to salvage the sound?
Old 10-14-2003, 07:47 AM
DJ Scotty

Originally posted by oldskool
True, true. Put five pillows back there and there goes the bass again. It happens, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Perhaps use the back seat if you want to salvage the sound?
Old Skool,

Thanks...so are you saying that the bass actually "goes away" with putting items in the trunk?
Old 10-15-2003, 12:31 AM
oldskool

It depends on what you're putting in there. Hard objects tend to reflect sound better than soft objects. If you're putting a jacket in the trunk, you'll notice a little drop in bass, but if you put something like bricks in the trunk, you'll keep most of your bass.

Also keep this in mind: the size of your trunk and its reflectiveness to sound greatly affects the bass you hear while you're in the car. Putting a lot of cargo in the back will lower the amount of air in the trunk and change the fidelity of the bass a little.

So yeah, the sound of the bass depends on the material of the objects you're carrying and how big it is. But unless you're carrying a lot of stuff, you probably won't notice much.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:19 AM
Kevin
Banned

u guys forget the most important fact...

is the box sealed or ported?

ported goes a long way with box placement...
sealed boxes do too...but not as much...
Old 10-15-2003, 01:22 AM
Kevin
Banned

Originally posted by oldskool
It depends on what you're putting in there. Hard objects tend to reflect sound better than soft objects. If you're putting a jacket in the trunk, you'll notice a little drop in bass, but if you put something like bricks in the trunk, you'll keep most of your bass.

Also keep this in mind: the size of your trunk and its reflectiveness to sound greatly affects the bass you hear while you're in the car. Putting a lot of cargo in the back will lower the amount of air in the trunk and change the fidelity of the bass a little.

So yeah, the sound of the bass depends on the material of the objects you're carrying and how big it is. But unless you're carrying a lot of stuff, you probably won't notice much.
i think ure referring to the acoustic characteristics...
which i find that people will have a hard time to recognize/hear it...
on the other hand...change of resonant can b heard if the res freq drop or raised up alot more than normal
Old 10-16-2003, 09:14 AM
DJ Scotty

Originally posted by Kevin
u guys forget the most important fact...

is the box sealed or ported?

ported goes a long way with box placement...
sealed boxes do too...but not as much...
Kevin,

The box is sealed...and I can swear the bass is affected when there are items in the trunk; like when there are no items in there, the box sounds "hollow" but there is a lot more "throw off" from the bass; when items are packed in the trunk (overnight bag from sleeping at my girl's place, jacket or two, shopping bags, laundry bag, etc.) it seems the bass gets tighter -- but it doesnt throw or carry as well.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:24 PM
Kevin
Banned

Originally posted by DJ Scotty
Kevin,

The box is sealed...and I can swear the bass is affected when there are items in the trunk; like when there are no items in there, the box sounds "hollow" but there is a lot more "throw off" from the bass; when items are packed in the trunk (overnight bag from sleeping at my girl's place, jacket or two, shopping bags, laundry bag, etc.) it seems the bass gets tighter -- but it doesnt throw or carry as well.
yeh..i know what ure talking about...
with a ported box..when anything is in the way of the port...the difference is even more dramatic..