Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

2nd battery ?

Old 09-17-2003, 09:32 AM
One Low Accord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd battery ?

I am in the process of installing a 2nd battery for my amps and air ride. I was just wondering how many of you are running second batteries? If you are...are u running an isolater as well? My main battery is an Optima Yellow top and my secondary battery is a Stinger. I've already ran 1ga wire from the main to the secondary (not hooked up yet) and i am getting mixed reviews about this isolater crap....put one on, or do i even need one? Thanks for the help!
Old 09-17-2003, 10:23 AM
toyman99

You need a relay isolator so that your main battery does not discharge into your 2ndary battery. This keeps your main battery for your car and starting and nothing else.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:18 PM
One Low Accord

Discharging into the other battery? Will that only happen only if one of the 2 go bad?
Old 09-21-2003, 09:03 PM
toyman99

The isolators keeps both batteries separate. It allows your system to charge both batteries but one battery will not charge the other and vice versa.

You need this because it protects the MAIN car battery and lets it do its job of running your car and starting your car.

You can then run that second battery to your car audio system and pump your music all day long with the neons on.

Just get a GOOD isolator, something with more amps than your alternator and you will be good.

Also PLEASE PLEASE get some nice 0/1 gauge wire to run. DONT SKIMP on the wires.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:16 PM
One Low Accord

Originally posted by toyman99
The isolators keeps both batteries separate. It allows your system to charge both batteries but one battery will not charge the other and vice versa.

You need this because it protects the MAIN car battery and lets it do its job of running your car and starting your car.

You can then run that second battery to your car audio system and pump your music all day long with the neons on.

Just get a GOOD isolator, something with more amps than your alternator and you will be good.

Also PLEASE PLEASE get some nice 0/1 gauge wire to run. DONT SKIMP on the wires.
Right on man...thanks for the info. When it comes to my car and my work bro....i don't skimp out on anything. I have all stinger/fosgate wiring and all mostercable signle wires as well.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:18 PM
johnmay19

As I was told by the store I worked for if both batterys are deep cycles you don't need an isolater, but if one is a regular and one deep cycle then you would.