Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

nothing to do with cars

Old 09-05-2003, 11:17 AM
abocic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nothing to do with cars

i just got a sony laptop and dont know why it has a 40gig hard drive partitions in 3. partitions 0 is about 5gigs and partitions 1 is 15gigs(windows XP pro) and partitions 2 is 20gigs....is it for it to hibernate but thats about 600mb(i think thats all it needs).....Im wanting to know becasue im having to reinstall windows XP.....so do i leave it the way it is or just to two 20gigs partitions? thanks to any info
Old 09-05-2003, 02:06 PM
rcurley55

do what you want with it, but I would prefer the 20/20

go here:

www.anandtech.com
Old 09-05-2003, 02:45 PM
SUPER LAUBO
KiMBO's Hubby

try to take this to the basement.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:44 PM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

you dont need a seperate partition with xp for the hibernate feature to work. You just need one partition. I would run fdisk and clear out all partitions. Then install xp and it'll ask you to format the drve before install. Format using NTFS!! Its the best fiile system. Then you shoudl be straight!

If u need more answers..just ask!

Dave
Old 09-07-2003, 05:29 PM
firebane

Don't use NTFS, its a waste of time. Go with Fat32 .. that way if something messed up you can read your hdd with a dos boot disk. NTFS isn't recognized by DOS and you end up screwed, take my personal advice on this.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:27 PM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

Originally posted by firebane
Don't use NTFS, its a waste of time. Go with Fat32 .. that way if something messed up you can read your hdd with a dos boot disk. NTFS isn't recognized by DOS and you end up screwed, take my personal advice on this.
fat32 is more proned to crashes(file system wise).

but ur right about not beng able to read it. You'll need a ntfs reader such as "ntfs pro"...which most people do not have on hand.

My personal advice is still ntfs...with xp you'll most likely NEVER run into a problem if you take proper "computer maintenence".

Dave