Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Alarm info. those who know please respond!

Old 09-04-2003, 01:35 PM
DTL2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm info. those who know please respond!

I have a 2002 TL and am looking for a top shelf alarm.
Question: is it worth it to buy a $500+ system? What are the top brand names and what are their Vulnerabilities? I want to know if it makes any real difference to have these alarms on my car or should I save the money for a down payment on my next ride? First post so be easy!
Old 09-05-2003, 02:44 PM
SUPER LAUBO
KiMBO's Hubby

buying an alarm costing that much is purely for cosmetics unless it's a Blackjack or Lojack system where the police can track your car. an alarm that costs about 500 bucks will generally have a remote starter and other add-on options. if you don't want those features, then get a basic alarm for half its price and get an Autolock.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:30 PM
miguel6632
proud 96 sol owner

well the one with the lcd screen its 110% worth it my homeboy has it and he got it at best buy and he can start his car and all the good features but when his alarm goes off the remote goes off and it has a awsome reach also i belive its clifford
Old 09-12-2003, 10:27 AM
SUPER LAUBO
KiMBO's Hubby

i believe you're refering to the RS3 Clifford alarm. it's nice and packed with gadgets but just as easy to bypass.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:00 PM
AccordManiac
Korean Member

Most of the alarms are easy to by-pass..
Hint: installation is very important..
Old 09-17-2003, 08:25 AM
toyman99

Cost is not an issue.
Pick a name brand unit.
Get a GOOD installer -- and most alarms are not easy to bypass if installed correctly.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:42 PM
Ineed2speed

One of the best alarms out there, maybe the best IMO is the Clifford AG5. Clifford has an established name in Car Security Market even though it is owned by DEI, Clifford still makes some great stuff. Lots of options and added security. Thats if price isn't a problem. You could also just get an IG650 or 750 and throw on you're own options like wireless immobilizer and digital tilt motion sensor, extra self powered siren, yada yada, ect etc.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:24 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

I think the alarm is deterrence for inexperienced thieves... Someone who knows what they're doing will disable your alarm in less than 30 seconds.

I have a cheap old alpine alarm for deterrence, and I have two remote(aka far away from each other) and novel(they target 2 different systems) killswitches that I really put my faith in... that'll stop most any thief looking for a quick hop-and-run....

Though, I'm pretty much ****ed against a good thief in a tow truck... But most everyone is
Old 09-17-2003, 10:51 PM
HKS Power

Alarms these days don't do much for the security of your car. Think about it, you're inside a mall, your alarm goes off so who do you think is going to take a second look and see who's breaking into your car. No one is going to give a rats ass. Sure someone will glance at the thieve but everyone will assume that person is the owner and just having trouble with the alarm. That's how I think of it when I hear an alarm goe off. I NEVER think a thief is breaking into someones car, right ...unless the alarm goes off in your driveway then you'd care.

How often do you see situation where you see a good samaritan say to person who is inside a car that has the alarm set off, "Hey you, is that your car? If not I will call the police?" Hah hah what a joke, you'll never or rarely see that happening.

Funny that I'm talking about alarm as I got mine installed today. I got the Avital, which is from DEI a well. I kinda regret getting it now as I found out after that a starter kill could be custom installed without the alarm. That's the main reason I got the alarm installed. Didn't want someone driving off with my car.

Really, alarms are almost useless cause if someone wanted to steal something in your car, they'd do it anyways by setting it off whether they can disable it or not. So screw the alarm and just install a starter kill (or have someone do it) and remove your faceplate. Alarms are really only good when are in vicinity of your car to be able to hear it go off say your own driveway.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:01 PM
toyman99

Alarms are good for

1. Insurance discount, it turns on by itself, self arms, siren and starter kill

2. Door lock operation

3. Flashes parking light

4. Nice LED, they will rob the car next to yours and avoid yours

5. Adds another starter kill that comes on with alarm

6. Adds a impact sensor, FACTORY alarms DO NOT Have this

7. Factory alarms are ALWAYS in the same place. AFTERMARKET alarms are NOT

8. extra remotes

9. Piece of mind

Need more reasons? Its cheap, its good security, get it.