Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Help meh build a system! ubern00b here

Old 08-31-2003, 03:30 AM
vtecn00b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help meh build a system! ubern00b here

Okay, I planned to invest money in performance mods first, but i had to unplug my battery the other day, which reset the code of my stock head unit. Dealer wants 70 bucks to run head unit's serial to retrieve the code. I told them to shove it.

To tell you the truth, I know jackshit about car stereo, I went to an audio shop earlier on and almost agreed on 1000 bucks system. The saleman told me to come back on Monday to pay and install the whole thing. I was almost convinced until I do some homework. Yes, the components they were proposing me were shi@t They can shove it with their free install too :fawk:

I looked around the net, found some pretty good deals, then some even more uber low priced components at ikesound.com. But then, I know nothing about car audio, and just started to make a list based on a few reviews and feedback found here and there.

Here's a list I compiled. It's for a '98 GS-R (which noise cabin is :a: ).
I have very little time to do it myself, so I guess it's best to let a shop do it maybe. Let me know if I omitted anything (I know I forgot the wires). Any suggestion welcomed =)

---------------------------------------------

Head unit:
Pioneer DEH-P5500MP $168.30

Front speakers:
Infinity Kappa 60.5CS $143.10

Rear speakers:
Infinity Kappa 62.5I $76.50

AMP:
Alpine MRV-F540 $341.10
(requires 8-gauge power and ground leads — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier) WTF?

Subwoofer:
Infinity Clear BassLink X $229.50

Total: $958.5 for parts
Old 08-31-2003, 09:31 AM
rcurley55

CDT CL-61a's on special at thezeb.com - $150
http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/specials_speakers.html

RF Punch 700x 4 channel amp to run it all @ the zeb - $250
http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/specials_amplifiers.html

Image Dynamics IDQ12 D2 v2 - sounddomain - $200 and it comes with 20 sq feet of dynamat to use on your doors (it says it's a trunk kit, but the doors will need it more).
http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/IDSIDQ12D2V2

find a friend to help you build the box...$50

The pioneer @ crutchfield is ok....$170

Amplifiers never come with wiring it would never work out right b/c many people use multiamp systems, etc.... so for $24 we can get you this:
http://www.knukonceptz.com/detail.as...uct_id=KOLAK84

You will probably want to pick up a bit more speaker wire, but I suggest you learn how to install it yourself if you want to save cash. I'm sure there's a more economical system out there, but every thing I have listed is from great manufacturers and will give you years of service. It's also all authorized and about $950. Before you ask, no, you don't need rear speakers, hook up the factory speakers to the headunit and you will be just fine.

You could also stick with the Basslink b/c it appears you don't have the time/resources to build a box, so, in that case, I would substitute the CDT comp set for the Kappas, again, buy no rear speakers (do you drive in the back seat or the front ) and instead of the 4 channel alpine, get a two channel. Then you can tailor your wiring kit to whatever selection you have made.

One thing I just noticed...you linked crutchfield for the head, but the price is way lower....unless you are saving over $30, get it from crutchfield, it will give you the dash kit and harness that you need to get it installed...
Old 08-31-2003, 12:20 PM
vtecn00b

Thanx for the input =)

The price doesn't match with the links I put because they are just tehre for technical reference.

That head unit for example. I found it going for $300 in most local retail outlets here, around 240 on many online store and for 168 at www.ikesound.com !! It goes the same for every other component I picked up. Saving over 50% on the retail price

Regarding the bass, I didn't want any bass box originally. Don't really have the time or ressource to work on it, and I figured out that I'll need a mono amp along with the subwoofer and the box, which will bring the price in the 200 range with some homework to do and fat box in my trunk .
The basslink is rather small... all in one solution without headache, and i was thinking about removing my spare tire and make it fit down there. You think it's gonna work? :/

Also... you mentioned dynamat... is it some extra I have to get and dump almost everywhere in the car?

I am also kinda concerned about power supply... Do I need any kind of extra electrical equipment? I don't want the amps to suck down all the juice from the battery and alternator