Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

HELP!! My system cuts off, is it the fuse??

Old 08-24-2003, 10:33 PM
afrodeziak2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! My system cuts off, is it the fuse??

What would happen if I used a lesser rated fuse on my power wire for my amp. My amp reccomends a 150 amp fuse but my amp kit came with an 80 amp one. I just installed my system the other day and it thumps but if I play it really loud it will cut off for a while.

Could the fuse be the problem or maybe my ground isn't that good? Thanks for any help
Old 08-25-2003, 06:12 AM
civicexstacy00

Is your amplifier getting really hot? Cuz, if so it's probably and impedence issue. What are the specs. of the amp and the subs that you are running? PM me if you need to....
Old 08-25-2003, 06:49 AM
afrodeziak2k

the amp doesnt get hot only warm, I am pretty sure I have the amp running at 4 ohm (w/ 2 dvc 4 ohm subs) and it is 2 ohm stable anyway. HOw do I set the level adustment control? The different settings are in Volts, what does that mean? The amp itself puts out 500 rms x 1 and has 3 - 40 Amp fuses but still asks for a 150 fuse. Also i heard the fuse is to protect the wiring not the amp is that true?
Old 08-25-2003, 01:29 PM
LjN_728

Originally posted by afrodeziak2k
the amp doesnt get hot only warm, I am pretty sure I have the amp running at 4 ohm (w/ 2 dvc 4 ohm subs) and it is 2 ohm stable anyway. HOw do I set the level adustment control? The different settings are in Volts, what does that mean? The amp itself puts out 500 rms x 1 and has 3 - 40 Amp fuses but still asks for a 150 fuse. Also i heard the fuse is to protect the wiring not the amp is that true?

Well if i had to take an edumacated guess, it's the amp. Not the fuse. If it were the fuse, you'd be looking at a blown out fuse. Where'd you mount the amp exactly? You want to mount it in an area where ventilation can flow, that way it keeps your amp cool. I'm guessing your amp is overheating. Do you ever notice it going out maybe 30mins - 1hr of bumping ur subs, then shuts down?

About adjusting your settings, look in the manual. They'll tell you specifically what settings it should set. All amps are diff, so you have to adjust accordingly.

Regarding the fuses, you should have a fuse(s) within the amp and also one nomore than 12" from the battery terminal. The amps of the fuse near the battery is determined by how many watts your amp is. The power cable is also the same. I mean it doesn't hurt if you're using a lower rating fuse, it just means you'll be replacing that fuse more often than normal. By all means, don't use a higher rating, cuz your might just fry everything. Look on the kit that was supplied and match correctly. Good Luck!
Old 08-25-2003, 03:47 PM
afrodeziak2k

well the pos manual doesnt say much but I have just been playing by ear and no problems today thanks
Old 08-25-2003, 03:58 PM
jfiedler
Junior Member w/Fries

Originally posted by LjN_728
Well if i had to take an edumacated guess, it's the amp. Not the fuse. If it were the fuse, you'd be looking at a blown out fuse. Where'd you mount the amp exactly? You want to mount it in an area where ventilation can flow, that way it keeps your amp cool. I'm guessing your amp is overheating. Do you ever notice it going out maybe 30mins - 1hr of bumping ur subs, then shuts down?

About adjusting your settings, look in the manual. They'll tell you specifically what settings it should set. All amps are diff, so you have to adjust accordingly.

Regarding the fuses, you should have a fuse(s) within the amp and also one nomore than 12" from the battery terminal. The amps of the fuse near the battery is determined by how many watts your amp is. The power cable is also the same. I mean it doesn't hurt if you're using a lower rating fuse, it just means you'll be replacing that fuse more often than normal. By all means, don't use a higher rating, cuz your might just fry everything. Look on the kit that was supplied and match correctly. Good Luck!
the fuse near the battery should be rated below the maximum amperage your wire is capable of carrying, to prevent a short causing a fire/melting all the wire.

it has nothing to do with the amperage of the amp directly, though obviously you need to have an equal or higher amp fuse (as well as the wiring to back it up) at the battery that is sufficient to cover your amp's power requirements.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:43 PM
crx304
larger than avg member!

what is happening is that you are overloading your amp when turned up to "YOUR" optimum listening level. you should have at least a 4awg - 2awg power wire if your amp has (3) 40 amp fuses.

more than likely, when the deep bass hits, when turned up loud, the amp cuts out, Right? if so, you need to shorten the ground wire, and step up in size.

Remember This.....
you always want the ground wire the same size (or larger than your power wire) and as short as possible. the "used" energy needs to get out of the amp and back to earth as quick as possible, before the amp recieves another "load." Or else it will overload and cut out!

if all else fails, you might need to "up" your charging system w/ a better alternator. but i seriously doubt that!!!!!

are you running both subs on one channel (Bridged?). if so, and all the +'s are running together and all the -'s are running together your amp is seeing a 1 ohm load!.......each v.c. is rated at 4 ohms.
so....
speaker A ....(2)4ohm v.c. wired in parallel = 2ohm load.
speaker B ....(2)4ohm v.c. wired in parallel = 2ohm load.
now, wire them in parallel, bridged to your amp and that creates a 1ohm load, and that is what your amp is seeing. which could be the problem.

i was pushing 3 12w6's(dvc) w/ a infinity beta 1000w amp. basically 800w rms total and hitting 158db.

now that was loud!!!!
HTH
mike