Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Alpine SPX Type X Series

Old 08-06-2003, 09:11 AM
cooliojones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine SPX Type X Series

I want to get a new setup for my system, and I wanna know if anyone out there has used or heard the Alpine SPX series? Is it worth the money and does it really sound better than the Type R Series? I want to get speakers fror the front and back, first I used to want the Infinity Kappas, but for some reason I just started liking the Alpines. Any thoughts on which setup to go with?
Old 08-06-2003, 11:02 AM
97teg

Yeah i a/b them with the type r's in a shop and the x's blew them away. Of course it was in a shop but the sound was no contest. Thats why i bought them. I got mine new off ebay for 200 casue i jsut didnt' have 400 to spend. On a side note they do need atleast 50 watts rms of AMP power. They also need a clean amp or you probably wont be happy with them.They have an amazing amopunt of bass even crossed over at 80 hz. Sounded like a small sub. Not a whole lot of impact down low but you could hear it lower than i was expecting for 5 1/4's. I dont' run any rear fill.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:04 AM
97teg

Oh yeah the xovers are awsome but big so make sure you can find space for them.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:20 PM
cooliojones

Originally posted by 97teg
Oh yeah the xovers are awsome but big so make sure you can find space for them.
Yeah I'm going to put them in the doors, the component set. I just bought some 6X9 type r's off eBay, and I guess this will be the final touch. I trust Alpine and I wanted to see how others were feeling about this series. They also have a flagship Type X model, but one is like $800 for the 3-way and the other I think is $350 for the 2-way.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:15 PM
97teg

they have a flagship type x which is more and there is also the f1 status 3 ways. Those are top of the line and very expensive.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:27 PM
cooliojones

So as far as the amp, I was gonna get a MTX Thunder564 4 channel amp, pushes 200w max and 70w RMS. What kind of amp does these speakers take? I know the RMS is 50w, and I don't wanna blow them, but I don't wanna underpower them either.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:34 PM
97teg

well i run about 70 watts rms to them right now and they get pretty loud with no problem. A shop that sells them said they sang with 100 watts and i have run as much as 200 watts to them. The 200 was basically for headroom. If you run a lot of power they will probably have to be highpassed a bit higher to increase power handling but should be ok. If you hear them bottoming out or having trouble turn the gains down. Maybe x over up a bit.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:00 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

$3500 for the 3-wat F#1 status speaker set. That's as ludicrous as the $5000 Rainbow Reference raw driver set. jeeziz

The Alpines look like scan speak drivers to me, probably some form of the revelator series. A person would do better with creating his own DIY component set
Old 08-07-2003, 10:28 AM
97teg

Well yeah and the type x's look like vifa cones. You could diy it but then you don't get the xover and its a bit harder to find the 4 ohm versions. Its all how much your willing to spend. I wouldn't mind diy but i also like the fact that everythign was designed to work together. If you were going all active it would be easy to diy.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:05 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

no true, you dont need to go all active to attempt a DIY speaker setup. Madisound has done wonders with creating custom crossovers for the drivers an individual has. Just give them the specs and they will build you specific crossovers. So I dont wanna hear that buying pre-made component sets are ALWAYS the way to go

Because a person can do much better for the money investing in good quality raw drivers.