Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Trunk mat problem

Old 07-27-2003, 10:56 PM
rehder7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk mat problem

I am running a 12 inch alpine Type R on a 300.1 mono 300 watt JBL amp in a box. I am not planning any further customization of my trunk at this time, and have just been placing the box in my trunk. Obviously, the thin, cheapo civic trunk mat is not strong enough to support this and has begun to sag. I added cross supports to the underside of the mat but it is still sagging. What have other people done to solve this problem? I want to maintain the stock look of the trunk for now and save money as well as keep easy access to the spare.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:47 PM
LjN_728

Well u can basically construct a new mat for your trunk using a 1/4" - 1/2 compressed wood board. Cut out the pattern using the existing mat. After doing so, buy some carpet, the same one for the trunk lining. What I did for a friend was the same thing but instead i put 2 hinges somewhere around the middle so that he could access the wheel well.

If you don't like that idea, just basically use support. Try to make it more of a # structure. Make sure it's long enough where it rests on the frame of the wheel well. G' luck!
Old 07-28-2003, 03:08 PM
prjct94accord

yeah, pretty much what he said. i did this and moved the hinge point in front of my box so i can still get to the spare. the thicker wood also provides a sturdy place for screws to bolt down your box. i used some 1/4" hardwood from home depot, and it took me a night to complete.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:37 PM
rehder7

Yeah i figured i'd be doing something like that. Where did you guys get the carpet, and how much did wood+carpet+hinge+supports run you?
Old 08-07-2003, 08:43 AM
LjN_728

Well if you're planning on just using a 1/4" - 1/2" compressed wood board to cut the shape of the mat, you're looking at around $5. Hinges can run you anywhere from $2/piece - $10/piece. Depends on what style you want. But they're all pretty basicially the same.

If you rather go with some 2x4' support beams, just get about 2 beams. Costs you no more $5. Don't need to get the fancy stuff.Carpeting is totally up to you. You could always use the existing mat and just place it right on top.