Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Subs...

Old 07-19-2003, 12:33 PM
nate886
Green: The genius color.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subs...

This isn't my first post on this subject, so be patient with me. I am looking at Cerwin Vega subs right now because I've heard them before and was impressed. I am rather confused between each of their model lines - the VEGA (now discontinued), the V MAX, the Stroker and the HED. I've looked and looked for information, but thus far have not found definate answers. I do know that the Stroker is their competition series and that it's too powerful/big for my uses.
I'm looking to add one or two 8 or 10" sub(s). Do you think I am looking at the wrong brand? Would you recommend opting for the DVC over the SVC? Also, does anyone know of a good resource to explain ohms and calculating resistance? I've tried to comprehend it, but something is lacking in my understanding of it. Thanks for all your help!

P.S. - I'm going to use ported boxes in my Civic.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:56 PM
firebane

I'm an opinionated person, I've heard Cerwin Vegas and were never really happy with them. You can buy different subs that are better and cheaper. And yes go with a DVC you'll be happier in the end. If you have the money and space just run 1 12" unless you don't want that much bass. If you want tight clean bass then run 2 10's. And using ported boxes is the only way heh. you get lots of DEEP bass.
Old 07-19-2003, 01:13 PM
nate886

The reason I'm thinking of two 8-10" subs is because I don't want to lose alot of space. I'm trying to be creative in my ideas for mounting amps and such to save room. I thought I could make the boxes fit in the "cubbyholes" in the corners of the trunk near the lid. Please give me specific examples - thanks again!
Old 07-19-2003, 05:39 PM
Kevin
Banned

how much space do u have to work with??

and whats ur budget??

i can recommend some subs for u if theres more info...
Old 07-20-2003, 08:33 AM
r2k2d2

Default ohms and calculations

hey, i thought id take a few minutes to explain the resistance calculations and ohms from the question you had about it.

Ohms is a measure of resistance in a circuit. The greater the value of Ohms, the more resistance that is present in the system. For example, when an amp has a 4 ohm load it puts out half as much power as it does when it has a 2 ohm load. This happens because the amp has less resistance or the power has less "junk" to flow through so it can flow easier and in greater amounts.

As far as calculations go, they are fairly easy as well....
When we discuss calculations we need to understand two main types of wiring setups: Series Wiring and Parallel Wiring.

Series: A series circuit exists when two or more subs are connected in a string, end to end, so that only one common terminal is shared between components and they share the same current.

To calculate the total resistance if a series circuit, all youhave to do is add the numbers of the resistances of each individual sub together:

Let's say we are wiring 2 4ohm subs in series.....
Resistance 1 or R1 = 4ohms (the resistance of one of the subs)
Resistance 2 or R2 = 4ohms (the resistance of the other sub)
Resistance Total or Rt = 4ohm + 4ohm = 8ohm.

Parallel: A parallel circuit exists when two or more components are connected so that two terminals are shared between components and voltage is common across the shared terminals.

To calculate total resistance of a Parallel Circuit w/ 2 speakers connected the formula is:

Rt = (R1*R2) / (R1+R2)

For example if we have two 4ohm subs wired in Parallel....
our R1 = 4ohm
our R2 = 4ohm
our Rt = (4ohm*4ohm) / (4ohm + 4ohm) = 16/8 = 2ohm.

If more than two speakers are wired in parallel we need to figure that into the total average resistance, the formula is a little different:

Rt = (1 / (1/R1) + (1/R3) + (1/R3) + ...)

Now these same formulas apply to DVC subs. Let us say you have a 4ohm DVC sub. We consider the R1 and R2 to both be equal to 4ohms. Now you can wire it either in series or parallel and calculate the overall resistance in ohms of the circuit. I hope this helps, feel free to IM/PM me w. any more questions.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:39 AM
nate886

r2k2d2 - Thanks for the awesome response!

Also Kevin, I'm really unsure of what I want to spend. I'm hoping to get a decent all around system. I'm pretty sure of the rest of my setup, and am only unsure of the subs at this point. I don't want to spend a ton on subs, and I don't need to set off car alarms with my bass either. You may be right on just getting one 12" though. Making one well fitting box for a 12" sub would probably take up about the same room as two smaller boxes.

So summed up, here is my criteria:
  • Resonable price.
  • Works well in a ported box.
  • You've got me convinced - 12" Sub

Thanks for any more help that you can offer me.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:04 PM
Kevin
Banned

under $100 subs...id recommend the pioneer 305...you can get it at etronics for 55 bucks

100-150 range...
alpine type r...edesign audio K series or adireaudio shiva...
all are considered very SQ oriented subs..

u can also find the idq subs...but im not too sure about their prices...
those subs work very well in small sealed boxes...and doesnt require much to go ported...
Old 07-27-2003, 09:15 AM
r2k2d2

if you are looking for under $100, you can find like the new Sony Pentagon 5 sided Subs online for around $50, but Sony does not come super highly recomended by some on HAN. I have had no problems w. their HUs and think they have overall good quality. There is also the JL 12W0. This will run you more money but itll sound good and given the right rated rms power, won't be too overbearing on your system. There is also the Rockford Fosgate Punch HE. That also has good amount of bass for a decent price. In that range there are a lot of subs. Go out to BB, CC, and any other local audio shop and listen and see what you like best. These are three starting blocks to look from.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:52 PM
JimmysZ32

Originally posted by Kevin
under $100 subs...id recommend the pioneer 305...you can get it at etronics for 55 bucks

100-150 range...
alpine type r...edesign audio K series or adireaudio shiva...
all are considered very SQ oriented subs..

u can also find the idq subs...but im not too sure about their prices...
those subs work very well in small sealed boxes...and doesnt require much to go ported...
I'll vouch for both the 12" Alpine Type R, and the edk. I've got a elemental designs e12k and its a great SQ sub. Same with the Alpine, although id say the Alpine has a wee bit more of an SPL characteristic to it