Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

What amp with JL subs?

Old 06-09-2003, 04:55 PM
Rycechyk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What amp with JL subs?

Hey all, haven't been around here lately, so hello to those I've missed as well as to all new people.

I am (probably) buying 2 JL 10W3v2's in a sealed box. For those of you not familiar with JL, those are 10", 300 watt. The shop recommended a JL 500x1 amp, but it's on sale for $529, which is more than I'm willing to spend. Yes, I like the idea of a tied-together system, but I'm open to cheaper & better amps that will work well with my subs. What are your thoughts/experiences with other brands that may be lesser known, or just less expensive, but will still optimize my sound quality?
Old 06-09-2003, 05:15 PM
red 97 lude

o man, theres lots of good amps out there...

First off, are they dual voice coil or single voice coil and what is the impedence on the voice coil(s)?

check out cadence, crossfire, DEI (directed), PPI (Precision Power; might be a little pricey), Kicker, or Orion for some good amp options that might be cheaper

o yeah check out hifonics too

you could always go with a JBL BP600.1, which you can find for real cheap.

good luck.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:52 PM
Matt86
vtec ownz j00

Originally posted by red 97 lude
you could always go with a JBL BP600.1, which you can find for real cheap.
Thats what i'd go for too. Can't go wrong with JBL. Great amp :thumbup:
Old 06-10-2003, 12:15 AM
LALno1

what are some reliable online stores selling audio equipment such as the JBL amps?
Old 06-10-2003, 12:52 PM
97teg

sounddomain.com has jbl and they are authorized. Youll pay a bit more but to some people its worth the peace of mind. They also have mtx you might be interested in. Whats the price range your looking at? Phoenix gold might be another to look at.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:56 PM
Rycechyk

Ok, here's a little more info. They are DVC, impedence is 4 ohms mono.

I'd like to set an amp budget at a couple hundred dollars, give or take a hundred I've definitely heard good things about DEI and PPI. So Kicker would also be good?

Hmm, I've been researching that JBL BP600.1 and I'm quite impressed. It seems like the biggest problem most people have is that it gets quite hot. This could be a concern for me, as I drive close to 2 hours a day, but since it's only 45 minutes at a time, I don't think it's too big of an issue.

Do you JBL owners have anything to add to that?
Old 06-10-2003, 04:25 PM
97teg

y roomate has a 300.1 with two 12's and has driven home a few time about 3-4 hours without it shutting off. I dunno about the 600 though all amps will need to have enough room to dissapate heat. Running that much power i would expect most amps that big to get fairly warm.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:33 PM
Matt86
vtec ownz j00

ikesound.com has really good prices. I don't think they're authorized but i believe they offer their own warranty.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:14 PM
red 97 lude

Originally posted by Rycechyk

Hmm, I've been researching that JBL BP600.1 and I'm quite impressed. It seems like the biggest problem most people have is that it gets quite hot. This could be a concern for me, as I drive close to 2 hours a day, but since it's only 45 minutes at a time, I don't think it's too big of an issue.

Do you JBL owners have anything to add to that?
i dont think you should have a problem with them getting too hot, as long as your not doing sine sweeps the whole time i cant imagine it would get too hot. ive heard that they can get 'warm' but not to the point that they overheat or shutoff. if you have a problem you could always just put a small fan on it.

good luck
Old 06-10-2003, 09:21 PM
red 97 lude

o yeah, sounddomain has a pricematch deal, so you could contact them and see if they will match the best price you find on the net(they tend to be higher than most) , so you can get the warranty.

peace