Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

ohm question for speakers

Old 06-25-2003, 10:10 AM
rcurley55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by azmi222
DVC 4 ohm coils in parallel do not have the same resistance as a single 4 ohm.....The whole point of a DVC sub is to give you options other than 4 ohms, so why would you run a DVC at four ohms?
That is all well and true....but you are comparing apples and oranges.

If you re-read what you quoted me on, you will see that I'm just tyring to state the the final load presented to the amp is what matters when determining stability - not the coil cofig or the number of subs you wire up.

I can hook 2, 10, 500 drivers up to the same amplifier channel so long as the load is within spec.

You seem to be making a big deal out of the fact that some woofers are built with dual coils. The fact of the matter is that for all intensive purposes there is no inherent benefit to a DVC sub except for flexibility.

Now you can wire a sub two different ways and present two different loads then you could before, or you can use two amplifier channels (or two amplifiers even) to power a DVC sub. The same goes for subs with quad coils.

The amplifier simply doesn't care, so long as the load is within spec....it doesn't matter how you get there!!
Old 06-25-2003, 03:40 PM
jfiedler
Junior Member w/Fries

specs go both ways...legacy 2000W is probably unrealistic. first off...it's definitely not RMS. peak means nothing.

then again...my alpine MRV-1507 sure as hell isn't a 150Wx2 RMS amp as it is sold. the way i'm using it - bridged channels at 2ohm - it's putting out way more under typical conditions.

it's rated 150Wx2 at 4ohm and 12v...it got certified at the factory at 214.6W per channel at 4ohm and 12v. (i think, might be a watt or two off...i'll check tonight when i'm home)

since its rated at 225W at 14.4v, that adjusts to about 320W at 14.4v.

2x320W bridged is about 640W.

640W to a 4ohm load can theoretically provide 1280W RMS in a perfect world...i know realistically after heat loss and other inefficiencies i'm probably gettin closer to 1100W goin to my two boston pro 12 4ohm subs.

in the end...i have extremely tight bass, slams like hell on command, and that's what matters.

also got 2 1 farad monster caps feeding it, and 1/0 gauge to the battery.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:27 PM
jrich
ReMember

Originally posted by rcurley55
First I "defy the laws of physics" and now you agree with me.....

Country of origin has little to do with inherent quality. The design is more important then where the machine putting parts on a board is located at. So long as the specs/tolerances of a product are well defined....it can be built almost anywhere with today's global economy and no one would be the wiser...
rcurley Whats this a FALSE statement
a large electronic mfg. years ago did a study w/mexican, japaneese,and german assembly workers what they found was japaneese do it right extreemly high quality, if it doesn't work perfectly they will fix it perfectly cost is higher, german workers same thing but most costly and slower, mexican workers were fastest and cheapest, however quality was worst.

price rules however and there is alot of american industry south of the border.

now there going to china and let me tell you that our company has seen quality going down in our industry due to this.
the good side to it is our company builds products only in house in germany :thumbup
oh curley why dont you install that stuff on your post an get rid of that sad face????????
Old 06-25-2003, 08:38 PM
rcurley55

Originally posted by jrich
rcurley Whats this a FALSE statement
a large electronic mfg. years ago did a study w/mexican, japaneese,and german assembly workers what they found was japaneese do it right extreemly high quality, if it doesn't work perfectly they will fix it perfectly cost is higher, german workers same thing but most costly and slower, mexican workers were fastest and cheapest, however quality was worst.
False, no - a difference of opinions - you betcha - This is going to get way off topic, but IMO the main reason for Japanese quailty is not Japanese workers it's the process!!

Back in the day, the Japanese build quality was a JOKE!!! Are you trying to tell me that Japanese people have changed to somehow become more detailed oriented, or are some how intrinsically better at following directions since the 50's?

Toyota was the main driving force of developing JIT (Just in Time). JIT forces good quality for a multitude of reasons.

Currently, Toyota can make their cars in any order they please (and they do this in CA mind you) - corrola, tundra, corrola, camry, etc. And toyota still has the highest rated quality around.

They have managed to push their setup costs so low and made changes in tooling so quickly that it's economically possible to build in this fashion. The gap is closing for american companies, but they are still far behind.

One thing to keep in mind is that culture is a big problem in Mexico. I don't want to sound racist...I'm the furthest from it in fact, but in Mexico, quaity issues arise because workers tend to cover up problems instead of stop the line immediately and fix the problem before it propogates. The idea behind a mfg system like JIT is to fix problems before they get large...many Mexican workers are afraid to admit to problems for fear of punishment.

Germans have been known for years for their precision engineering. And they definitely do have some of the better designs around. That I won't dispute.

I used to be a manufacturing engineer for passive fiber optic products, a very, very labor intensive product. We had off site facilities in Mexico, Europe and Asia. We had some quality problems across the board, but they were not related geographically. They were spread across loacations and product lines.

For example, most people would say that Korean's can't produce a quality product....well, JL amps are made in Korea...I'd consider that a quality product.

So the story remains the same, if you implement the correct manufacturing style, and you keep a close eye on your QC procedure - ISO 900x Certification helps - IMO, you can build a high quality product in any industrial country you want.

This is why I feel the quality of your process has a larger impact on overall product quality then the actual MFG location....it's ok, we can agree to disagree. I don't want to turn this into a business school class debate!!!

oh curley why dont you install that stuff on your post an get rid of that sad face????????
This is even further off topic, but I just got done with a few projects, and borrowed some equipment so I can temporarily install the front stage (got an old, old Punch 4020DSM to run the horns and the mids). With a temp setup, I can start to build the trunk and then move forward. Trust me the last year has been agonizing...I can't wait to get it running...hopefully I'll make the last IASCA comp of the year.

Am I still defying the laws of physics...
Old 06-26-2003, 10:55 AM
jrich
ReMember

lalno1 are you still glad you started this thread ?
cruley i got you beat i think, i still have and use a Punch 75 amp
Old 07-01-2003, 12:33 AM
LALno1

yeah, i went on a camping trip and came back and there were like a million threads, mostly helpful, and some just interesting to read about, but overall i like the thread.

and to update everyone, I'm thinking about getting infinity components for the front speakers, because I can't find any good sites that sell JL components. And I'm wondering if I should buy a 5ch. amp and run all my speakers off of it, or get a 4ch. amp and a mono amp to run my sub??? I need enough power in it to run 60W to each speaker and I'm not sure how much power to the sub. I'm looking around, but suggestions would be nice.

Thanks.

Oh and does anybody know how I would go about installing components to the front speakers of a 3G integra??? where to put the tweeter and crossover?
Old 07-01-2003, 08:50 AM
jrich
ReMember

i love my infinity setup sounds very clean not at all muttled
6.5" 2 way in ft doors reference
6x9" 3 way in rear deck reference
2 10" DVC 4ohm subs in sealed box, in trunk this setup is run all in parallel for an ave. of 1 ohm
all infinity. and i think infinity only makes speakers which is a good thing
and a 5 channel amp with crossovers and lots of power
Old 07-01-2003, 11:51 AM
rcurley55

Originally posted by jrich
i think infinity only makes speakers which is a good thing
The name infinity graced amps a few years ago. Now the parent company (The Harmon Group) is also made up of Harmon/Kardon and JBL. H/K has been supplying OEM car audio equipment for a long time now (most notably in BMW's) and JBL makes both OEM and aftermarket systems for the 12V industry.

So, who knows who actually designed and manufactured that line of amps (the Beta's) but they were marketed under the brand name of Infinity.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:38 PM
97teg

If the speakers sound good to you i don't think it should matter who they are made by. There have been recent posts on getting wiring through the doors. The last one wasn't that long ago.