Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Al & Ed's Autosound: Is it a decent place to get system installed?

Old 06-30-2003, 04:43 PM
PostGrungeJunky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Al & Ed's Autosound: Is it a decent place to get system installed?

Hi!

has anyone had any experience with al & ed's? the guy that gave me a quote on installing my stuff seemed to be ok. the estimate for my rsx came out to $275 bucks. i then drove over to pacific audio & alarm, the guy couldn't get me a good estimate without all my stuff with me, but he quoted me 520!!! bucks.

the stuff thats going into my car:

Clarion DXZ835MP
ID CXS62 components
IDQ v2 10" sub / subzone box
a/d/s/ P450 4ch amp
dynamat xtreme kit for doors

i think i'm gonna stick with al & ed's for $275 unless anyone has had a particularly bad experience with them. any testimonials?

thanx!
Old 06-30-2003, 05:00 PM
rcurley55

Here's my one piece of advise. Get EVERYTHING in writing before you throw them the keys. And I mean everything!!

From where the passives go, to how they are going to mount the midbasses. Where they are going to use the dynamat, what they are mounting the amp to, where, etc, etc, etc....

Seriously, account for everything, assume absolutely nothing.

Install is one of those areas where you get what you pay for IMO.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:15 PM
PostGrungeJunky

ok. i'll make sure to do that. curley, whats your 2 cents for my for my tweeter placement in my other thread?
Old 06-30-2003, 06:40 PM
rcurley55

without it all together, it's a guess at best....you can try stock locations....
Old 06-30-2003, 06:50 PM
PostGrungeJunky

oh whats like the install shop like 'etiquette' if there is one? al & ed's is a chain so.... iv'e never had it done at a shop before.. what should i expect from the installer and what do i need to provide for them? what should and shouldn't he and i do? for example...he said it will take 4-5 hrs. do i spend my entire afernoon hovering over everything he does or do i leave him be and go home...or....eh... do i tip him

oh and...yeah the original posts still applies...i guess...chime in pplz

thanx!
Old 07-01-2003, 01:05 PM
oneslowrex

Did the quote from A&E include parts? Like the amp wire kit, rca's, so on and so forth? My shop would charge around 260$ in labor assuming that RSX is not a type s with a bose system.

Adding parts to that would be around 160 to 220 depending on what quality of wiring you were looking at. Sounds like the second place you looked at took that into consideration. But without all the facts it's hard to say.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:11 PM
PostGrungeJunky

oh yeah, i'm providing almost EVERYTHING. i forgot to mention the knuconceptz amp kit in my lst. yeah the ONLY thing i need to get from them is the harness for my HU. 275 includes all the labor + harness. like i said. im supplying everything else
Old 07-01-2003, 06:57 PM
oneslowrex

Well, I'm guessing with "auto tranny" you don't have a type s, so 275 sounds about average for an install. Was the other place a custom shop? Usually custom shops charge more for labor but you get a prettier install. As for the etiquette part, you should expect a written estimate before any work is started. Also the installer should discuss with you what you want done, mounting locations and all. See if the shop does appointments, if so it's usually better than just randomly showing up since if they're busy you won't be dissapointed for wasting time coming. As for the hovering thing, that's a personal issue. Ask the installer if he minds if you watch, and go from there. Some people can get nervous being watched while they work and that can cause them to either to take a very long time or worse make them jittery which can lead to damage. Hope it all goes well.