Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Engine feedback over speakers?

Old 06-14-2003, 10:58 AM
maestro5050

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine feedback over speakers?

Hey guys, I recently installed a new distributor rotor, distributor cap, and plugs. A few days later I started to get some crackling sound across the speakers. At the same time, I sporadically (sp?) started losing my front left channel and subs. I think the second issue was purely coincidental.

I took my car to the stereo shop where I had everything installed about seven years ago. The took a quick look at everything and determined that my amp was bad. They ran some tests on the amp itself and the 5th channel (Phoenix Gold SA1.5X 4x90 1x120) was dead. As I said, it seemed to be just pure coincidence that the amp went at the same time as the crakling sound started.

Well the issue persisted after installing the new amp. We pulled the head unit and checked the connections to everything, but I still got the crackling. We tried putting in a noise filter and still got the nosie. The noise itself is not always present, and it ONLY happens when the engine is on. If the engine is off, I have no crackling. The speakers are in great condition and everything seems to be wired correct.

I guess my question is, did replacing those ignition related items cause the problem? Have you heard of this before? Could it just be fuse related? Finally, could it have caused my amp to blow? Any suggestions you can give will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the responses.
Old 06-14-2003, 04:40 PM
crxb16er

could be the way its wired, with alot of wiring causing sometype of electrical interferance, power wires should not be right next to speaker wires, check ur fuses, if there was a power surge then it could cause something to blow if something was short circuited after the fuses, the stuff u installed has nothign to do and is no where near ur amp so unless u bumped the power wire or upsetted a connection it shouldnt be related at all. hope that helps u some
Old 06-14-2003, 04:48 PM
crxb16er

also ur power wire should be straight off the battery not jumped off any other power wires off ur car or else u will get noise associated with ur cars power output at the time, and make sure ur ground connection is in good order or else u will have problems with sound quality
Old 06-15-2003, 06:52 PM
acuradriva

try disconnecting stuff to find the prob. If you shut your radio off doies it go away? if you unplug the rcas...