Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Speaker Rattle

Old 06-08-2003, 08:48 PM
HatchVX
Driving a Turbo 2L Terror

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker Rattle

Is ther anyway to stop the speaker rattle in my 92 VX hatch? All stock mounting brackets and the speakers are pioneer 6 1/2 3 way 220's? Any suggestion will be nice.

Patrick
Old 06-08-2003, 10:39 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Start insulating stuff. Stick foam strip on the back edges of panels, lay down a little electrical tape, shove a paper towel in the cracks, it really depends on what is rattling. I'll take a look at it tomorrow.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:43 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

Originally posted by Kai
Start insulating stuff. Stick foam strip on the back edges of panels, lay down a little electrical tape, shove a paper towel in the cracks, it really depends on what is rattling. I'll take a look at it tomorrow.
Jeeziz you're kidding me with this post right? electrical tape & paper towels is your best suggestion to stop rattling? What happens if he starts stuffing paper towels in his door panels and low and behold it rains... soaked paper towels can be a short circuiting hazard...or worse.

Dude... simple sound deadening material can be used... look into peal&seal from home depot, raamat, dynamat xtreme..to be used on vibrating metal panels... if you have plastic panels that are vibrating.. try some 3M #77 spray glue and some carpet padding and apply on the underside of the plastic panel to provide some sound cushioning.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:34 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by moofoo
Jeeziz you're kidding me with this post right? electrical tape & paper towels is your best suggestion to stop rattling?
As my (former) band director would say, "It's cheap, it's easy and it's legal." Not to mention it works.
What happens if he starts stuffing paper towels in his door panels and low and behold it rains... soaked paper towels can be a short circuiting hazard...or worse.
I've never had it rain INSIDE my car. Besides, anything that could possibly get wet, you would use something like foam strip or electrical tape... like I suggested in my original post.
Dude... simple sound deadening material can be used... look into peal&seal from home depot, raamat, dynamat xtreme..to be used on vibrating metal panels... if you have plastic panels that are vibrating.. try some 3M #77 spray glue and some carpet padding and apply on the underside of the plastic panel to provide some sound cushioning.
Ok, that would be ideal, however Hatch is a good personal friend of mine and I know he is cheap, just like me. If I can fix a rattle by shoving a peice of paper towel below the corner of a plastic panel, guess what? I just saved myself $10 worth of crap you want to use.