Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

What Really matters THD, S/N, or FREQ.RES.

Old 06-01-2003, 02:23 PM
mogulmogul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Really matters THD, S/N, or FREQ.RES.

I’ve got a problem, I’m trying to get some really technical advice and no one has the ability to address these questions maybe some of you can help. I am debating between a older Nakamichi pa-304 amp and the newer pa-2004.

pa-304 ========================

"s/n=greater than 110db (ihf a-wtd),

freq=10-50,000 (Hz+1,-3db),

THD=.005% (4 ohms 1 khz."

The power is at 45x4 (rms)

VS.

pa-2004=========================

s/n=103db (ihf a-wtd),

freq=5-100,000 (Hz+1,-3db),

THD=.05% (4 ohms 1 khz."

The power is at 100x4 (rms)
=============================================
basically from the spec's the older one seems better and cleaner, but the new one boasts a better freq. res. and power capability. I want the cleaner of the two, from what i know the human ear can only hear from 20-20,000khz, so the pa-2004 might be shooting out into space with those kind of frequencies. The pa-304 lacks some of the newer innovations like an internal crossover and the new "harmonic time alignment" which the 2004 boasts. When you give me your advice please don't consider more power as better, i don't care for the extra only the clarity, give me your technical advice on the true ear experience of THD's Freq.Res. and S/N ratio's on amps as a whole. Thank you for the brain power!!!! Please email me at rudyrios@hotmail.com, i would be much obliged.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:25 AM
xivera
insert witty remark here

All above mentioned spec's are equally important but, hearing how the unit actually sounds should be the determining factor. Moreover, it takes a very discerning ear to notice the those THD values. And, I hardly ever trust the manufacturer's power rating of a radio/head unit.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:23 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

There's so much more to the makeup of "sound-quality" than just those 3 specs. For example A/D/S amp are only about 90 S/N with a narrower bandwith reach, and 0.1% THD.... to a person who is only worried about numbers and stats.. would tend to stay away from this amp just by these numbers.... but let me tell you A/D/S amps sound phenominal simply sweet... anyways.. back on topic...

Both of those amps are basically the same... get the one with higher output 100x4... and give your speakers headroom so that you may leave all the gains down and run your amp cooler so it lives longer. Dont get hung up on technical specs.. and try to use your ears as a test whenever possible.