Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Stupid Question

Old 06-02-2003, 07:54 PM
Matt86
vtec ownz j00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Question

In my accord i'm running a jvc headunit thats 50 x 4 channels. I'm having trouble hearing the music over my loud subs though and don't want another amp so i was wondering.. if i took out my back speakers would all that power be directed to the two speakers up front? Or would they each continue to get just 50 watts?? Thanks
Old 06-03-2003, 04:10 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

First off your aftermarket HU is NOT giving 50watts to your speakers, hence they are being drowned out by your subs. If you take off your back speakers you will just have the same amount of power(which is roughly 15-17 watts RMS) going to your front speakers. You cannot bridge the HU amp output to get more juice, either turn down your subwoofer or you'll haveto invest in a 4 channel (or 2 channel if you only want your front stage) amplifier.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:25 AM
Josher

If you have any other pre-amp outs on your HU, you could buy another amp along with some high wattage and high SPL rating speakers for the front would help to match or overcome your loud bass. A guy at my work powered his front speakers and mounted the amp under the passenger seat. His Audi (yeah I know, not a Honda or Acura), sounds good, not to mention his custom built sub enclosures pound in the trunk.

I don't know for sure what your JVC HU can do, but on my Alpine I was able to adjust the crossovers so that I can reach the maximum volume without distortion. If your front and rear speakers are distorting before you get to full volume, and you have internal crossovers in your HU, you could try adjusting the crossovers to filter out the low end frequencies.