Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Noob amp question?

Old 05-09-2003, 05:58 PM
forumballer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob amp question?

Hey,
I am a noob to sound systems and was wondering exactly what 2 channel and 4 channel amps are? I think 4 channel means it goes to like 4 different places, like your rear 6X9 speakers and door speakers. How can you power subs with a 2 channel amp then? Wouldn't you need power to go to all 4 speakers plus the two subs? Also, what is it exactly that you look for when purchasing an amp (power wise)?
thanks
Old 05-10-2003, 02:03 AM
Randy12vp

As far as purchasing an amp goes...it all depends on what end results you are trying to achieve. Basically, what speakers are you running or plan on running and what would you like to achieve as your end result? There is an amp for just about every application. Tell all of us on the board what exactly you are trying to achieve and we'll try to assist you in making the correct decision based on your needs.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:53 PM
smokedogg

yea what he said ^^

I'll answer the other part of the question though:

Usually a 4 channel amp is used to power four speakers (Fronts and rears). A 2 channel amp can be used to power a pair of subs or a pair of regular speakers. Single channel amps (monoblock) are also available which usually power a single sub. You can also go all out and get a 5 or 6 channel amp to power 4 speakers and a sub or two. Unless you get a 5 or 6 channel amp, you're probably gonna want to get an amp to power your subs and a 2nd amp to power your regular speakers. (This is what most people end up doing).

Personally I have a mono channel amp running a pair of subs wired in parallel, meaning the two subs are essentially wired as one, so the amp "sees" just one sub, while splitting the power equally among the 2 subs.

I also just bought a 4 channel amp which I'm gonna use to power my fronts and rears.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:47 AM
Randy12vp

Good explanation smokedogg...I couldn't have said it any better myself.