Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Box Placement

Old 05-02-2003, 07:07 AM
DJ Scotty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Box Placement

Is there a science to the way a subwoofer box should be facing in the car's trunk, or is it dependent on a vehicle itself? In other words, in most systems I see, the subwoofer box is firing "backwards", where you can see the subs head on when you open the trunk....I have the subs firing the same way in my 99 Accord, both Rockford Punch XLC's in the sealed box firing backwards, towards the outer area of the trunk....would I get harder hitting bass if the subs fired directly through the seats? I was told in a sealed trunk such as mine, the bass should fire backwards like it is, so the "bass wave" has "room to develop"....does this make any sense?

What about vehicles like SUVs or hatchbacks? I was told vehicles like these can have the subwoofer boxes firing forwards towards the passenger cabin because the back portion of the cargo area of these vehicles are all open; the bass can pretty much fire right up and over into the passenger area....any truth to this? Should I turn my box around in my trunk to fire through the seats themselves?
Old 05-02-2003, 10:13 AM
b_dyche
owned by a 9 car pile-up

The idea is the amount of air you have to push... in a trunk you get a lot more distortion by firing into the seats and you get a weaker sound to begin with. By firing into the seats you are forcing the air directly through the seats, but it expands outward and goes up through the rear deck lid causing the sound to be broken up and distorted. By firing into the trunk you have a larger area for the sound to reverberate (right term?!) in, producing a fuller sound and more volume.

In my hatch I have the sub facing the rear as well, because with the seat up it sounds no where near as clean...
Old 05-02-2003, 11:02 AM
DJ Scotty

Originally posted by b_dyche
The idea is the amount of air you have to push... in a trunk you get a lot more distortion by firing into the seats and you get a weaker sound to begin with. By firing into the seats you are forcing the air directly through the seats, but it expands outward and goes up through the rear deck lid causing the sound to be broken up and distorted. By firing into the trunk you have a larger area for the sound to reverberate (right term?!) in, producing a fuller sound and more volume.

In my hatch I have the sub facing the rear as well, because with the seat up it sounds no where near as clean...
So, you are saying keep the box firing backward, so the basswaves have room to develop, as I suspected first? I have seen some systems, though, where the woofers are firing right through the back seats....you claim this will introduce distortion.....anyone else have a theory about this? Anyone else have subs firing forward into the passenger cabin in a car with a sealed trunk like mine?