Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

/////ALPINE motorized faceplate reliability?

Old 04-24-2003, 08:23 PM
PostGrungeJunky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default /////ALPINE motorized faceplate reliability?

Exactly how reliable is the motorized faceplate for the higher end alpine decks? the cd slot is behind it and you can adjust the angle on them, how long can it withstand frequent cd swapping? any all time records for longevity in this forum? the only new mp3 playing non-motorized faceplate they make is silver/blue! totally clashes with my rsx dash
Old 04-24-2003, 08:51 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

I have had 3 alpine decks with motorized faces.. 2 I bought used... never had a problem with either, and last year I bought a 7893 new from my dealer and have not had a problem with this one either... Just be sure not to press hard on the metal plate behind the face (when you're installing the deck)... if you bend it, the face does not attach properly and the connection for the faceplate becomes poor...

Alpine has great reliability with all of their products.

btw... I change CD's very often, and I drive a lot... (30kmi/year)
Old 04-24-2003, 11:59 PM
MikeR

agreed, i had a beast of an alpine in dash 3cd changer that was fully motor. and now i've got the new gem your speaking of blue and gray beuty!!! but the oldie never did conk out after about 3 years with me and god knows how long it was used before i got it, no prob.s on either of mine, i'm with you though, pretty skeptical about all those moving parts. especialy since it moves every time car is cranked(if radio on) so far so good
Old 04-25-2003, 02:31 AM
Randy12vp

Most manufacturers that offer a motorized faceplate have done enough research and development to make sure that their hus have a very low if any failure rate on the motorization portion. Alpine especially has always and will always make a great product(s).
Old 04-25-2003, 12:04 PM
PostGrungeJunky

"awesome! totally awesome! "
-jeff spicoli, fast times at ridgemont high (1982) :thumbup:

i guess i have no worries about the alps, thanx folx
Old 04-25-2003, 10:45 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

...only thing that bugs me is how long it takes to eject the damn CD.... although, Ive been told I'm a very impatient person.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:26 PM
PostGrungeJunky

haha, well, with 7 albums wortha music on a cd (i only encode at 256k, if that doesnt sound like a lotta cds on 1 disc), i guess it's worth the wait.

this has nothing to do with faceplates but...

i just went to the caraudioforum, the stuff they talk about is sooooo expensive obscure and technical!!! crazy competition nuts. it's all good i guess
Old 04-27-2003, 06:35 AM
overflow

being a "crazy competition nut" myself, then coming here to learn about motors and stuff, you guys sound obscure, expensive and technical!!! but your right, it is all good...

anyway, i work at a shop that is an alpine dealer as well as a radio repair facility, and i can tell you that the alpine decks are about as good as it gets.

only time ive seen the faces mess up is when people dont realize what "motorized" means and try to manually open or close the unit...
hope this helps!
Old 05-01-2003, 03:14 AM
Devlin0805

I have the 7893 and love it. I have not had any problems with it so far and I bought it about a year ago. I will say, and everyone already knows this, being that it is a motorized plate, it will eventually fail. All motorized mechanisms fail at some point. But like Randy said, they do enough R&D that you should be str8 for quite some time.