Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Fixing an Alpine Headunit

Old 04-24-2003, 08:57 AM
eghonda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing an Alpine Headunit

i got the CDA-9805 a couple weeks ago off of Ebay. i honestly don't know how i ****ed it up but its ****ed up. it no longer accepts CD's.

since i bought it off an unauthorized dealer the warranty is no longer present. i called around and everyone told me about flat service charges ranging from $110-$150. i bought the headunit for $170 and it doesn't seem logical to pay 2/3's of that price to get it fixed.

have any of you been in the same situation? are they even remotely user servicable? any help would be much appreciated.

Old 04-24-2003, 09:02 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

sorry to hear you got jipped... you should try contacting the seller and get another unit or your money back from them... if its only a couple weeks, you may still have a chance.

Not to degrade you, but if you have to ask if its user servicable, it is not servicable by you. I only say this because if you know what you are doing, sometimes you can poke around inside the unit for a while and find something... but it takes quite a bit of electronics know-how. I cannot say im the greatest at fixing things like this (ive f'ed up a couple things before trying to fix them), but I have a good idea how things should look and work.

They are pretty complicated inside, and I'd hate to see you open it up and screw something else up, so I really do not advise you putts around with it.

What exactly do you mean "it wont accept CD's anymore" ? The cd player just wont let you insert a CD? You get error messages?? what exactly does the unit do?

If worst comes to worst... you could find a used alpine changer on ebay for like $50... then just leave the cd slot for decoration.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:52 PM
MikeR

did it originally accept cd's when you got it? if the unit was shipped without a slug disc or shipping disc, it could have been knocked out of alignment, there suposed to have a fake cd in them to keep everything centered. bought a pioner unit from a flea market and after inserting a disc in it, it sounded like a grinder going off in the player. it was the laser driagging the disc from mis alignment, i to paid around 150.00, since i was furious i beat the hell out of the dash with my fist which in turn knocked it back in order! before, it scratched my pour beastie boys cd to pieces and after it worked for years until the car was totaled.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:34 AM
Randy12vp

Definitely try to get your money back. I wouldn't try any kind of attempt at repairing it yourself.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:52 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

Originally posted by MikeR
since i was furious i beat the hell out of the dash with my fist which in turn knocked it back in order! before, it scratched my pour beastie boys cd to pieces and after it worked for years until the car was totaled.

while this works in some cases, I dont suggest you run to your car, take the deck out and slam it on the concrete anytime soon...
Old 04-25-2003, 11:01 PM
MikeR

it sounds like junk anyway! j/k no i would hold off with the hammer until i was certain they wouldn't take it back, and then if they do refuse to help i might send it back any way in pieces!!!
Old 08-06-2003, 03:17 PM
cooliojones

These messages are kinda old, but I wonder if that guy got his Alpine fixed? I had a car accident, and I had a CD player in the unit, and it plays but the CD won't come out. What he means by "it won't accept CD's anymore" is most likely the same problem that I am having. There are two little "stalks" that are inside the Alpine, and when you press the eject button, they are supposed to move to the side to let a CD out. However, when I press it they move, but not enough. I am not an Alpine tech, but like the guy I don't wanna shell out that kind of dough and not get a brand new unit. Plus it takes forever and a day until you get your unit back. It is very complicated inside, a lot of gears and springs and things, and I can't believe I got this far. I feel like I almost have it without messing up the unit itself.

I have a 7875, by the way, and I'll let ya'll know how far I get.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:45 PM
cooliojones

IT CAN BE DONE!!

I just fixed it. The mechanism that pulls the CD thingy up so that the CD can come out was knocked out of place. So this proves that w/ a little careful thought and a steady hand, you can fix your own head unit.

I think I will open up my shop to fix other headunits, below the cost of what a shop will charge and with a quicker turnaround. If I did send mine off it would still be in the mail right now.