Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Infinity BassLink won't auto power off

Old 08-06-2003, 12:08 PM
corey88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infinity BassLink won't auto power off

I just finished installing the Infinity BassLink in my car. I'm using speaker level inputs and have the Auto-TurnOn in the Auto position. The problem is that once I turn the stereo off or the car off, the BassLink still remains powered. Even though the BassLink manual says that it will shut off automatically on it's own after about 5 or 10 minutes later, I can look at the BassLink 12 hours later and the red Power LED is still lit!

Is this the way it's supposed to work? Is there some internal circuit that shuts down after 5 or 10 minutes, but the Power LED remains lit?

I had thought that maybe there was some trickle voltage coming off of the speakers even when the stereo was shut off that was keeping the BassLink powered on, so I tried removing the speaker level connection from the Basslink and left the Basslink with no speaker input attached at all. I came back about 10 hours later, and the BassLink red Power LED was still lit and on.

I am assuming that because the red Power LED remains on, that the BassLink is still powered up and active?? If this is the case, I am worried that the BassLink may drain the battery dead if I forget about it for a weekend lets say.

Does anyone have any ideas about this??

Thanks
Old 08-06-2003, 12:56 PM
97teg

usally green is on red could be standby. Try turning everythign on and seeing if the led changes color when its actaully playing.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:54 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Default It won't turn off?

:huh:Whoa.

I've only used mine (which was one of the earlier model BTW) on line-level inputs aka RCA pre-out, along with a turn-on lead from the headunit.

On my earlier model, there was no switch on the BassLink for automatic turn-on; it sensed voltage on the speaker wires, and then turned itself on. If you flip your switch to the other position, I assume the BassLink doesn't come on at all. [?]

Worst case scenario, one could add a relay operated switch on the powerline to physically disconnect power to the Basslink from the battery, controlled by a toggle switch in the car.

What has the tech support line at Infinity had to say?

If it seems like I'm rambling, I'm really sorry.
I hope things work out for you.

Dave.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 08-06-2003, 03:27 PM
corey88

If I flip the switch... the Basslink no longer comes on on it's own. It's strange that it doesn't automatically shut off for me. I've read on other forums that it does shut off automatically for other people.

I guess another option for me is to run a "switched" power wire from someplace to the BassLink remote terminal. But the problem will be to find an ACC switched power lead that I can tie into.

I haven't back from Infinity.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:39 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

So the Headunit you've got doesn't have RCA outputs, I guess. Hence, you're using the speaker level inputs. If the Basslink only uses a remote lead when the <<AUTO>> switch is off, you probably could run a lead off of the cigarette ligher harness, or the trunk light....maybe?

Just a thought. I'd personally wait to hear back from Infinty- you might have a claim.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 08-06-2003, 06:25 PM
corey88

I don't know or think that there is a "switched" power cable that I could tap into which is in the trunk. I mean power to something in the trunk (lights or whatever) that is fed power when the ignition switch is turned on, and no power when the ignition is off. Does anyone know if this exists in a 03 Accord EX trunk?