Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

installing my own radio...help!

Old 04-22-2003, 02:56 PM
nd4speedm1
Currently Riding his BIKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing my own radio...help!

i have a 94 accord lx and a few weeks ago my stereo got stolen....well to get a new one isntalled isnt cheap so i was thinking about doing it my self....i know i need some form of adapter...stock to aftermarket.....where do i buy that? online or in a store?? also my old radio had a tray underneath it just like the stocke one...i guess u would call it a braket....so i where do i buy those...i could probly get them at best buy.....but is there anywhere online where i could get one
Old 04-22-2003, 05:34 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Wherever you buy the head unit you can buy all the installation accessories. Lets use Best Buy as an example (since I work for them). After you buy the head unit, go around back to the install bay and ask for a harness and install kit for a 1994 Accord. They will have exactly what you need. It's about 15.00 each. Now, to do the harness connections correctly you need crimps, zip ties, and to be able to follow the diagram included with your head unit. If you are not sure of your technical ability, you may want to reconsider doing it yourself. The wires are color coded, but always reference the diagram to be sure. It was only 2 years ago Pioneer just started adhering to the EIA color codes. Any more questions just post em.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:33 PM
nd4speedm1

buying cd player on ebay.....could i still buy the parts from bestbuy? and 15 bucks each??? is that for the wire adapter and then the dash peice (cup thing)
Old 04-22-2003, 08:29 PM
MikeR

yes, i would highly recomend going locally for wiring harness and install kit, i.e. just in case you get the wrong one or vandals did damage not repairable or hidable with this kit you can get it asap as apposed to being stuck with these then reordering and hoping the right ones come, he's right though for best conection use a good (crimp on) butt splice conector for the best sound quality, the wiring is pretty straight forward and the install kit should have directions included. if in doubt about mounting of the kit check into a haynes manual for factory radio install/ removal for the basic procedure.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:52 AM
Randy12vp

Dash kit and wiring harness for 15 bucks a piece? Sounds a little high. Shop around if you're not in a hurray to do the install. I'm sure you can find a better price somewhere.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:46 AM
nd4speedm1

where would be better do u think? best buy or circuit city or somewhere else??...we have some local "sound" stores but i would have to chop off my arm to afford there prices.....
Old 04-23-2003, 10:12 AM
XprincoX
"you wanna die??"

hey i just bought a hu off ebay this week too so will be installin it this weekend probably. Anyhow, the harness and installation kit you can just pickup at just about any electronic place(best buy, circuit city, good guys) I just picked mine up from my local tweeters for like $15 which had like 12 wires. Be aware theres different harnesses too, some have more wires than others. As for the dash kit i just picked it up from crutchfield for like $12. They include all the needed installation diagrams, instructions and everything. You can also pickup the harness from crutch too and save on shippin, but theres only is 7 wires so is only $7.
Old 04-23-2003, 05:58 PM
nd4speedm1

is that the dash peice with a cup under neath it like the stock radio....?????

edit....was looking at the wrong one
Old 04-23-2003, 09:18 PM
mltcharlie

Here you go..

Wiring harness: Walmart $4-$7.
Radio install kit: Walmart? ($12-$15) If not there. Bestbuy, Circuitcity, Fry's Eletronics or your local stereo dealer.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:01 AM
MikeR

right on!! forgot about wally world having them.