Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

my trunk of funk

Old 04-18-2003, 09:13 PM
adslinstaller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my trunk of funk

Ok, here are brief descriptions w/ a link. Look @ them as you please & give me your opions.

step 1 - taping it off http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...MxeTU0MQ%3D%3D

step 1 from the front http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...MxeTU0MQ%3D%3D

step 2 - laying the 'glass http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...MxeTU0MQ%3D%3D

thinking ahead, i notched the box so i still have fuel pump access
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...MxeTU0MQ%3D%3D

finished product from the front

finished product from the rear

It took about 20 hrs total including the glassing.

I plan to do panels for each side with plexi to cover the amps w/ maybe some purple neon (the car is "eggplant?!?!" ).

I think I want to make a panel to cover it all in carpet so when you open the trunk, if you didn't know the trunk floor was raised up 3" you'd never know anything was there. This panel will include grills for the sub & ports to keep stuff of/out of them.

I just can't decide if I wanna cover the sub & amp panels in carpet or vinyl.

If it ever gets done, I'll post the finished pics.

In case anybody is wondering, here's the specs for the box, speakers, & amps, etc.

Box is approx 4.5 cu. ft

Sub is a Diamond dual 4-ohm

Amps are Memphis 500d (700 watts @ 2-ohm) & a 50x2 running the Diamond 6.5" 2-ways in the doors w/ the tweets on the pillars firing toward the front glass.

I replaced the rear deck speakers w/ a set of Memphis & they run off the head unit for a little rear fill.

The head unit is a Sony CDX-MP70.

We put it on the rta meter last night & it does 145db.

Now to trim it out!!! Once again.....carpet or vinyl???
Old 04-19-2003, 01:30 AM
Randy12vp

How do you lke the Diamond M3? I think it's a great sub for the price. I would do vinyl instead of carpet in the trunk.
Old 04-19-2003, 09:18 AM
LjN_728

Is this the first time you fabricated a custom enclosure or even a regular enclosure? but anyways...yea it's getting there. See with my enclosures, I like showing off the amp. Well that is it if looks nice. But I'd somehow move your amp that's laying on the side, and bring it up to the top of the enclosure. Hide a neon light when the amp is and cover it with plexi. It'll look really nice with the plexi and neon lighting up the amp. I'd used carpet rather than vinyl because it blends in more with the trunk. You're trunk is carpet. Why not match it? G' Luck!
Old 04-19-2003, 01:58 PM
Randy12vp

Maybe it would be a good idea to use carpet to finish off the install. Everyone always enjoys an install that looks like it's been around since the early 90s. When was the last time you've seen an install that was done in carpet? Most of the cars you'll see in the car stereo mags use different types of materials for their install rather than carpet because they've stepped up to the plate and realized that the car audio industry has evolved and is capable of offering new concepts and ideas and not things of the past. Basically my advice to you is use your imagination.
Old 04-19-2003, 04:14 PM
adslinstaller

i think i've dcided to keep it stealth & go carpet. i'm gonna build (4) panels. (1) for each side w/ plexi windows that covers the wiring, but you can still see the amps thru the windows highlighted by neon. (1) panel will go in the front to cover the cap w/out a window. the last panel will cover EVERYTHING & will have the grills on the back side to protect the ports & sub. that way, when the trunk is opened, it you don't notice the whole floor is 3-4" higher, you'd have no clue of what's there. i'm gonna have a "bag" kinda like a tire cover for a tire on the back of a jeep made outta carpet that'll zip up to store the spare in.

when i get it done (hopefully in the next month ) i'll post pics of the finished product :naughty:

i appreciate everybody's input
Old 04-19-2003, 04:17 PM
adslinstaller

Originally posted by LjN_728
Is this the first time you fabricated a custom enclosure or even a regular enclosure? but anyways...yea it's getting there. See with my enclosures, I like showing off the amp. Well that is it if looks nice. But I'd somehow move your amp that's laying on the side, and bring it up to the top of the enclosure. Hide a neon light when the amp is and cover it with plexi. It'll look really nice with the plexi and neon lighting up the amp. I'd used carpet rather than vinyl because it blends in more with the trunk. You're trunk is carpet. Why not match it? G' Luck!
yes, this is the first on i've ever built, so it has been slow-go, but i've enjoyed taking an idea & making it work. there are (2) amps - one on each side. there wasn't enoght room to put them @ the top, so that.s why i put em on the sides.

the box it WAS in was a pre-fab ported box that ate the WHOLE trunk & it sounded like ASS, so it's good that it sounds as good as it looks & i can now use about 90% of my trunk again
Old 04-19-2003, 05:06 PM
97teg

Looks like you need to pre drill pilot holes cause it looks like some of the mdf split Looks nice though.
Old 04-20-2003, 03:31 AM
Randy12vp

Good luck finishing your install.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:54 PM
94civicEX
I got worms.

That Diamond sub should sound really good man. Nice install, like where you put the cap :bigok:.

duck squad member #00003