Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Advice for head unit install on '94 Integra

Old 04-18-2003, 10:41 AM
MadMax96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for head unit install on '94 Integra

I'm new to these forums but I have to say it looks like a lot of great info!

I tried searching for what I need but didn't have any luck so I'm hoping an expert on the subject might chime in and help.

I have a friend who just picked up a '94 Integra hatchback and wants to replace the OEM stereo (no surprise right?)

I helped him pick out a nice Pioneer Premier MP3 deck but realized I have no idea how it installs. I've done several car stereo installs in my days, but no Hondas or Acuras.

I know I can get the stuff that I need cheaper than Crutchfield offers, but they have the slick mastersheets that have diagrams included. The install kit they show seems to have a 1/2 DIN opening in addition to the standard DIN opening for either an EQ or you put a cover over it. I thought it might be a pocket or something.

Click for Crutchfield's install kit

Should I use theirs or should I get one from SoundDomain.com (or somewhere else)? Sounddomain's looks to include a pocket, but not a rear support. Clicky!

Also, how does the old one come out? I couldn't find any install directions (installdr.com doesn't have what I need).

Thanks in advance for any info!

Matt
Old 04-19-2003, 01:42 AM
Randy12vp

If you're unsure about the installation, there's no harm in taking it to a shop and having a professional do the work. After all, that's what they do all day long and plus, you'll get a warranty on the work being done.
Old 04-19-2003, 07:05 AM
MadMax96

It's not that I'm unsure about doing it - this stuff is easy. I'm pretty sure my soldering skills would shame most that install stereos for a living.

I just figured someone has done this before and I'd just like their advice.

Whichever kit I go with I'm sure will work fine, but I wanted to know if one was better than the other.

I've installed at least 10 or so stereos myself without problems. I'm certainly not going to pay some punk in a stereo shop 60 bones to do this one.

This is actually for a friend on a tight budget so I want to save him money by helping him out.
Old 04-19-2003, 09:34 AM
LjN_728

Well whatever aftermarket HU your buys, you know there's a wiring kit for the HU. Now depending on where you buy it, you can ask them to hook you up for a kit for your friend's integra. Most places are really happy to do that for you. If you do have to pay for one, it'll costs you nomore than $15.

Don't solder the wires togethers! haha Use vinyl insulated butt connectors. Usually when you buy the kit, you'll get them.

In terms on get the HU out, you're stuck. Haven't worked on an integra, but if it's anything like the 94' accord, you have to take the cover out inorder to unscrew the HU. Try looking around the HU for screws you might think it holding the dash cover. You might have to pop off the clock to see if there's a screw. Well g' Luck!
Old 04-20-2003, 08:21 AM
MadMax96

Yeah - I know about the wiring kits. I prefer to solder them because crimp-on connectors can become loose over time and are the root of all evil in my opinion. I'll only use those when I need to disconnect and reconnect things. I'm not hacking any part of the car's original wiring, all the solder is going on between the wiring kit and the harness included with the stereo. I don't chop the wires too short so if need be they could be cut and resoldered to a different wiring kit in the future.

I'm used to stereos just being released from the front and sliding out, but it sounds like Honda has them attached with screws on the sides (so those panels have to be removed or something).

What sucks is this is a friend of a friend so I've never seen the car yet. I just want to minimize down time when he comes by.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:42 PM
MikeR

95 teg here and the radio install is easy. i can tell you've done it before, the butt conectors usually supplied are hell on wheels but there are some good ones with heat shrink surronding them, i like soldering as well but worry about wires grounding out or crossing over if heat shrink or electrical tape is worked free. on the install side though you should take the ashtray out and gain access to the couple of screws that hold it in, and on the extra 1/2 din under hu, there is a factory "shelf" or pocket available in the install kit from say circuit city or best buy, or you can even remove the fatory one i believe, i dont like ordering such for the simple chance of getting the wrong one shipped and then having to wait on the right one. it is possible to install an eq under it or even buy an 1.5 din hu.