Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Newbie question, how to figure SQ. feet from custom sizes?

Old 06-22-2002, 10:14 PM
D16Y8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question, how to figure SQ. feet from custom sizes?

I was never good at math so forgive me about the simple question. When ever I look at crazy fiberglass designs I wonder how they get the correct SQ. feet from the enclosure? Do they guess at a estimate size or do you measure the enclosure with water?

Thanks
Rob
Old 06-22-2002, 10:51 PM
arch iceman

I still calculate enclosure volumes when working with fiberglass to within 10%. Sometimes the subs can be in a flat box with a fiberglass trim or cover like in the Mercedes posted here a while back that I built.

For SQ competitions cars its trial and error. When doing exotic fiberglass enclosures, sometimes the angles or any other factors change the sound. In my high profile competition cars, Ive built several enclosures over and over for each vehicle. Then we do RTA and LEAP analysis and measurements inside the vehicle. We also run test tones to find resonant frequencies of the vehicle for SPL competition vehicles. Analyze the data from different enclosures and pick the best or keep building and experimenting until we get as close to perfection as time will allow.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:55 PM
D16Y8

Thanks for the reply,

I never knew how much time it takes to complete a enclosure. The reason why I asked is I was going to make a simple box that fits in my spare tire area but didn't know how to measure the air space.

Thanks
Rob
Old 06-22-2002, 11:20 PM
arch iceman

Depending on the sub specs and size you can take rough measurements. I think the full spare tire well in a 5th gen Civic is a little over 3 cu ft.

Or you can get packing peanuts and fill up the spare tire well. Get a mailing box that is exactly 1 cu. ft. and measure how many boxes of peanuts you scoop out of the well. Thats a very simple and easy way to do it.
Old 06-22-2002, 11:59 PM
D16Y8

Do you suggest this method for boxes as well? I was thinking about building a sealed box just behind the rear seats, with a angle wall. The speakers I would use are either 2 JL 10W3 or IDQ 10's. It's nothing special but I never build a box to fit the car, it's always vise versa.

Thanks
Rob
Old 06-23-2002, 12:14 AM
arch iceman

Square footage of boxes should be simple to calculate. Even square ones with an angle. You calculate the square box seperately LxWxH, then the angle seperately. Add them together and you have the cubic volume of the box. Dont forget to calculate for wood thickness and or any internal bracing.
Old 06-23-2002, 09:02 AM
b00gers

Originally posted by arch iceman
Dont forget to calculate for wood thickness and or any internal bracing.
and the structure of the speaker itself.
Old 06-23-2002, 09:04 AM
b00gers

Originally posted by WiLL

and the structure of the speaker itself. that number should be given in the booklet that came with the speaker, or you can always check online.
Old 06-23-2002, 09:54 AM
arch iceman

Woofer displacement specs come with the speaker's documentation as well.