Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Alarm questions

Old 06-22-2002, 09:31 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm questions

I want to get a new alarm for my GSR and am looking for recomendations. Besides the alarm I want a hood lock, battery backup and air horns. The alarm a local shop recommended was the Viper 300 ESP. I have heard great things about Viper but after checking out DEI's website I noticed that this was the base in the viper lineup. Should I look into the 500, 600, & 800 ESP as well, and if so are they worth it? Also if not Viper whom else should I go with?

Thanks
Old 06-22-2002, 09:56 PM
b00gers

Alpine and Clifford makes em. but i think Clifford is under DEI now.

base models dont mean jack...the price goes up as the number of features on the alarm goes up. if the "base" alarm have enough channels for you to add all the features...then its a good enough alarm.

FYI...sometimes shops recommend certain alarms just so they can get rid of em. they might be old, or just hard to sell lower models.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:33 PM
arch iceman

If anything else, and your budget is accomodating look into the Clifford Intelleguard series. I can tell by you mentioning you want a hood lock, backup battery, and air horns, security over convenience is more important to you.

Clifford is my most highly reccomended alarm. Even if they manage to get past the backup battery and hood lock, they still cant steal the car. Thats the advantage Clifford has over any other alarm out there.
Old 06-23-2002, 05:47 AM
Dunbar

If you go with Viper I'd recommend the 500 since it uses an external shock sensor. The 300 is no less secure but the remotes are kina ugly
Old 06-23-2002, 05:15 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Arch

What does it mean when they alk about windows having reverse polarity? Both Clifford and DEI talk about it. I was looking towords either the Intellguard 7000 or 8000...do you have a prefference for either and what would it cost? If i am going to spend $$ to protect my car I want to do it right the first time. As for convenience over safe I would pic security any day. No sense in your car being convenient if someone else decides they want it more than you do.
Old 06-23-2002, 07:19 PM
arch iceman

Its more of an installation issue with the polarity. Has to do with one touch windows and certain german cars like Audi that use a negative or reverse polarity. Clifford just makes sure they can accomodate all cars with thier features.

As far as the 8000 vs the 9000 theyre both pretty much the same. The sensors are different and I like the single stage shock sensor available on the 9000, but sensors can be added to any model. All Cliffords should be equipped with the optional glass sensor, I dont see why it doesnt come standard on thier high end systems.

I dont really care for the NightVision feature on the 9000. I can do without that personally, sometimes I like to drive with my lights off when working.

Personally I use the AvantGuard 4 or Solaris systems on my cars. Price depends on the vehicle and features you want installed. It also depends on the dealer, sometimes it can take up to 8 hours to install a Clifford system. Not every installer can install one of these systems they have alot more connections than most alarms on the market, and I highly reccomend buying from an authorized dealer when you do so so you can take full advantage of the warranty and features knowing it was installed by a qualified and trained Clifford installer.
Old 06-23-2002, 07:20 PM
arch iceman

Ummm I just read you asked about the 7000 vs the 8000. h: Get the 7000, best for the money and covers everything except for the glass break I mentioned earlier.
Old 07-02-2002, 06:32 AM
integramodder

hey arch, can you help me answer a few questions about installing my AG4?

Last edited by integramodder; 07-03-2002 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:15 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Arch,

As far as hood locks and air horns go, is the Chapman company still making them? Are there better ones? I am also concerned about the air horn sucking the battery dry.... unless they've changed, the air horns on the old Chapmans could kill a battery if you let it run five minutes. What are your suggestions?
Old 07-05-2002, 03:44 PM
integramodder

Originally posted by integramodder
hey arch, can you help me answer a few questions about installing my AG4?
ttt