Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Free Air Subs?

Old 02-11-2003, 09:07 AM
xbladr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free Air Subs?

I am wondering what are free air subs. I saw some enclosures for them and i want to do one for my civc because i like them alot. I was planning on getting two alpine r 12's but i dont think they are free air. I am just running crappy lightning audio in a huge sealed box right now. I was wondering who makes good ones and can you guys recommend any. I am definately looking for two 12's. Also is it possible to hook all 4 of my speakers to a 2 channel amp? thanks
Old 02-11-2003, 09:24 AM
rcurley55

Default Re: Free Air Subs?

Let's look at these one at a time:

Originally posted by xbladr
I am wondering what are free air subs. I saw some enclosures for them and i want to do one for my civc because i like them alot.
A few things going on here...first, let's talk about free air (also called Infinite Baffle) subwoofer systems. These subs are intended to be placed in an infinitely large enclosure, meaning you can use your trunk as the enclosure, so long as you seal the trunk off from the cabin that you are firing the woofers into. The best way to show an example is to look at the 6x9's in the back shelf of a car. Notice the back wave (the sound waves coming from the rear of the speaker) play into the trunk, while the front wave plays into the cabin of the car. If the front and back wave mix, you get cancellation...and that's bad. Sealing of the trunk (in this case) is very important. There's a lot more work then just mounting the drivers on a baffle.

There are no enclosures for IB subs, and I don't see how you could like them when they don't exist...

Also is it possible to hook all 4 of my speakers to a 2 channel amp? thanks
Depends on what speakers we are talking about, and what amp...more info please.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:45 PM
xbladr

well its a pioneer gm-x552 amp and they are jbl in the rear and polk audio in the front. I was thinkin abotu switchin to alpine type r's though. I was wondering if it would be worth hooking it up and how hard would it be. Also what are some companies that make free air woofers and where can i get em and what not
Old 02-11-2003, 03:27 PM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

my friend used to have some Pioneer free air subs in his s10 pickup. They were alright. I didn't think they made free air anymore, thought the fad may have died off....
Old 02-11-2003, 04:35 PM
rcurley55

well its a pioneer gm-x552 amp and they are jbl in the rear and polk audio in the front. I was thinkin abotu switchin to alpine type r's though. I was wondering if it would be worth hooking it up and how hard would it be. Also what are some companies that make free air woofers and where can i get em and what not
Yes, you can run all 4 off of the 2 channel. What you will need to do is wire the right speakers (front and rear) in parallel to drop their nominal load to 2 ohm stereo...do the same to the left speakers.

The problem with this approach is that you will not be able to fade from front to rear. IF it was me, I'd run the amp to the front speakers, and the rears off the head unit.

If you want people to recommend equipment, you need to give more info, starting with your budget.

If you want me to guess...I'd recommend an IDMAX...used free air with 600-1kW they are outstanding. If I had to look for a "less drastic" approach (not eveyone wants to hang a 35lb sub free air) I would try to find some JL IB4 drivers. They are near impossible to find, but they create some of the best sub bass around. OZ audio's L series (I believe) is a great IB woofer as well. Past that, I can't think of too many off the top of my head.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:08 AM
daddykay24

Free air has pretty much gone the way of the dinasour bro. you may want to try a small sealed enclosure.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:04 AM
xbladr

is this the oz Audio that you were talking about?
http://www.outerlimitsaudio.com/prod...ProductID=2662
because im not sure if thats Infinite Baffle or not. Thanks again please let me know
Old 02-12-2003, 08:11 AM
rcurley55

is this the oz Audio that you were talking about?
http://www.outerlimitsaudio.com/prod...ProductID=2662
because im not sure if thats Infinite Baffle or not. Thanks again please let me know
To be honest, I'm not an OZ audio expert, but I can tell you who is.....OZ Audio...give them a call, they will be more then happy to let you know.

Otherwise, try to contact Steve Head at audionutz.com Steve's an OZ Audio guy, and should be able to let you know if you email him.

Start with the manufacturer. Sorry I can't give you much info, but unfortunately, I've never been up on their nomeclature. I did take a look at the 2002 directory, and I will say that they don't have any subs listed as free-air. They may have stopped manufacturing them for all I know.

Sorry I can't be of more help...