Thread: Free Air Subs?
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2003, 04:35 PM
rcurley55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by xbladr
well its a pioneer gm-x552 amp and they are jbl in the rear and polk audio in the front. I was thinkin abotu switchin to alpine type r's though. I was wondering if it would be worth hooking it up and how hard would it be. Also what are some companies that make free air woofers and where can i get em and what not
Yes, you can run all 4 off of the 2 channel. What you will need to do is wire the right speakers (front and rear) in parallel to drop their nominal load to 2 ohm stereo...do the same to the left speakers.

The problem with this approach is that you will not be able to fade from front to rear. IF it was me, I'd run the amp to the front speakers, and the rears off the head unit.

If you want people to recommend equipment, you need to give more info, starting with your budget.

If you want me to guess...I'd recommend an IDMAX...used free air with 600-1kW they are outstanding. If I had to look for a "less drastic" approach (not eveyone wants to hang a 35lb sub free air) I would try to find some JL IB4 drivers. They are near impossible to find, but they create some of the best sub bass around. OZ audio's L series (I believe) is a great IB woofer as well. Past that, I can't think of too many off the top of my head.