Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Alpine SPR-176A components

Old 02-09-2003, 09:37 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine SPR-176A components

Anyone heard these? They are pretty sweet sounding, I actually liked them better than the Diamond Audio M6's, I can get em from ikesound.com for like $134 plus $20 for shipping, I just wonder if im gonna run into depth issues when trying to install them in my doors of my 5th gen Accord.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:03 PM
MikesCommuter
As the ACCORD TURNS!

I heard these and they LACK MIDBASS response..They actually started to BOTTOM out in the stock Door location with only about 50 watts each...The tweets are too bright for my taste..I think the Crystals or even the CDT Classics will be a better choice.

Of course this is just my HUMBLE OPINION!

Mike
Old 02-10-2003, 04:55 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by MikesCommuter
I heard these and they LACK MIDBASS response..They actually started to BOTTOM out in the stock Door location with only about 50 watts each...The tweets are too bright for my taste..I think the Crystals or even the CDT Classics will be a better choice.

Of course this is just my HUMBLE OPINION!

Mike
You think so? Wow, that's one of the things I liked about em, that they hit pretty hard on the midbass notes. I actually asked the salesman if there were any other speakers on cause the were hitting pretty good, and the highs were nice for my taste, very prominent, but not overwhelming, and unlike most others I listened to, the highs didn't distort when I played my test track, a song by C-Bo w/a super high frequency part in the song, they sounded sweet IMO. And for $150 for some 6 1/2's, im all over em:naughty:
Old 02-10-2003, 05:03 PM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

dude go for it... if they sounded good to you then GO FOR THEM
Old 02-10-2003, 06:05 PM
SiClone
X-Moder8er

It's great to go and listen to speakers at stores, but you have to remember that the speakers are in a relatively sealed enclosure and are playing to to your ear level. Once its in a car door, the sound changes....

As for the highs not distorting, were you just using the deck on the wall or an amp to push the components?? Amped components will always sound much better and will not distort like deck powered components.

When you go and listen to speakers, try and simulate what you have in your car or will be doing to the speakers.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:04 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by SiClone
It's great to go and listen to speakers at stores, but you have to remember that the speakers are in a relatively sealed enclosure and are playing to to your ear level. Once its in a car door, the sound changes....I know this, I based my judgement on how they sounded in their sealed enclosures. Going from the wall to a car door, they can only get worse, not better.

As for the highs not distorting, were you just using the deck on the wall or an amp to push the components?? Amped components will always sound much better and will not distort like deck powered components.All of the components I listened to yesterday were running off a JL Audio 300/4, I listened to all of them w/the same song playing, on some, the highs got all fuzzy sounding when the super high frequency portion started playing, the Type R's didn't

When you go and listen to speakers, try and simulate what you have in your car or will be doing to the speakers.It's damn near impossible to simulate the acoustic environment in ur car when ur in a sound room at a stereo shop. I just listen to what sounds the best in the room, and if it's in my price range, then that's what I get. I can't imagine some speakers that sound like garbage in a sound room sounding crisp and clean in a open air enclosure in ur car door. I wish I had the time and money(and skillzh: ) to build a sealed enclosure in my door panel to make the mids sound as good in my car as they do in the sound room.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:47 PM
97teg

If you like the way they sounded then go for it. 134 is pretty cheap. You might want to look into the alpine type x's. Dunno what youre price range is though. Sound is subjective so listen to as many as you can pick the one you like and go for it. If you listen to a lot of different ones you can be confident in you decision and not second guess all the time.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:57 AM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by 97teg
If you like the way they sounded then go for it. 134 is pretty cheap. You might want to look into the alpine type x's. Dunno what youre price range is though. Sound is subjective so listen to as many as you can pick the one you like and go for it. If you listen to a lot of different ones you can be confident in you decision and not second guess all the time.
$150 is about my max I wanted to spend, they impressed me so looks like im gonna order em.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:10 AM
barto

Go to www.nexxon.com free shipping and you get a warranty with them. You will need to make a spacer or you window will hit the speaker or the speaker will hit the back of the door. Not a big deal, but know that you will have to do that. They do sound great, and who the **** runs the components without an amp? What is the point, especially a set with a huge ass magnet like that?

As for the highs, you can tweak the system once you get them in and lower the frequencies to your taste (there are a few ways to do this).

My $.02

Nexxon prie 179 shpped, but this is with a 1 year warranty through nexxon. It is up to you, I have dealt with Ikesound and they are ok too. good luck.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:33 AM
smakdown

I have some infinity reference comps in my accord, and my friends got some infinity kappa comps in his. Both sets kick major arse, the kappas give a little more midbass and can hit the high frequencies a little better than the reference but its all good for the price i got them for (got mine at ikesound too! I got mine in about a week, like the others said, the packaging was a little lacking but no damage at all)