Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Horn loaded compression drivers

Old 12-23-2002, 06:57 PM
97teg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn loaded compression drivers

Does anyone have any experience with these? I want to know the pros and cons. Im thinking they may be the only way to get good imagine and staging without messing with kicks cause i want to keep my dead pedal.
http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/IDSCD1EV2
Old 12-23-2002, 07:08 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

Putting some pro-sound speakers in your car?? I dont see how a horn driver pointed directly at your knees is gonna help with imaging.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:51 PM
97teg

Ok they are not pro sound. They are made by image dynamics and designed specifically for the car. I want to hear from someone that actually has experience with them please.
Old 12-24-2002, 06:29 AM
xivera
insert witty remark here

pro: highly effiicient
con: requires custom install (duh!)

Here are some reviews regarding them.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:18 AM
Toxis
Car Audio Manb*tch

and as for an EDUCATED response.....

They're not pro audio. They are car audio specific. You put them under your dash and aim them up. When you do so, the sound dispersion is EXTREMELY impressive and sounds incredible. The imaging is great!!!

Pro's - great sound, imaging and dispersion all in one.
Con's - hard to install and a pain to work with if you have a 5spd (can be depending on who/how they're installed)... Also, they're extremely efficient which can be good but you'll notice a level of sound which goes from very soft and mellow to "HOLY HELL THE NEIGHBOR'S WILL HATE ME!" But if you tune your amp/system correctly, that can be fixed and you'll have one hell of a good sounding setup. You can catch me on AIM or Y! for any further information if I had missed something. Take it easy...
Old 12-24-2002, 06:28 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

educate :madfawk: this asshole!

I KNOW they are made for the car... anyone ever hear of kidding around.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:16 PM
Toxis
Car Audio Manb*tch

yeah good point. Because I could sense sarcasm in a post when no smilies are used... Go make a friend...
Old 12-30-2002, 09:40 PM
97teg

hey toxis do you ahve any experience with the lower line image horns? Is it worth it to go with the lower ones or jsut buy a good component set?
Old 12-31-2002, 07:36 AM
rcurley55

Originally posted by Toxis
and as for an EDUCATED response.....

They're not pro audio. They are car audio specific. You put them under your dash and aim them up. When you do so, the sound dispersion is EXTREMELY impressive and sounds incredible. The imaging is great!!!
Toxis, I'm not sure what you meant by aiming them up - typically you do not aim them up. In fact, you should aim them parallel with the ground/floorboard. This is a starting point, you may be able to improve your stage by playing with angles (up/down, toe in/toe out, etc.) them, but primarily they are used parallel to the ground and as symmetric to each other as possible.

Place them as far back, and to the outsides of the car as you possibly can. Then you build a "under dash pad" to "attach" the horn body to the lower edge of the dash. (something as simple as cardboard that is carpeted works here) This couples the horn body to the dash. Also plan on getting a dash pad to help absorb the reflections between the top of the dash and the windshield.

Yes they image well out of the box, they are extremely dynamic, and they are a pain in the ass to mount. They will hang VERY low in most hondas that I have played with them in. The heater on the passenger side hangs very low on honda's. One drawback to horns is that they tend to create a narrow stage.

You should pair them with the passives though. This way you don't have to go active and the crossover will do the power matching for you. This is ID's entry level horn, and you will see a large jump in performance if you go to the CD1Pro. But with the pro, you almost certainly have to go all active.

I also noticed that you chose the fullsize body horn. You may want to go for the "mini" horn. The will be a bit easier to get into the car, and have improved tonality over the full size (at the expense of low frequency response). The good thing is that if you ever decided to upgrade, the CD1e MH body and the CD1Pro driver make an excellent pair....some would say better then the CD1Pro body+driver combo.

Most people would say to run kicks to get them most out of them, but Jason Ewing does quite well competing with door mounted mids and horns in his GTI. Although the word on the street is that his car "works better then it should."

Let me know if you have any questions about horns and installs.
Old 12-31-2002, 07:42 AM
rcurley55

Originally posted by 97teg
hey toxis do you ahve any experience with the lower line image horns? Is it worth it to go with the lower ones or jsut buy a good component set?
Not directed toward me, but I would highly recommend stepping up a line to the CD1Pros. Totally different compression driver. The CD1's are more like 'real" horns, and like I said before the CD1Ve's are entry level. Not to say they can't sound good, but if you have the extra amplifier power/crossover capabilities, this is the way to go.

If you go to the CD1pro, you will want very efficient midbass drivers. ID also recommends that you send three times the power to your mids as you do your horns. Horns are 8 ohms, and are extremely efficient (read: 15W will tear your neck off!! )