Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

new alternator suggestion

Old 12-23-2002, 08:51 AM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new alternator suggestion

Anyone have a suggestion of a replacement alternator for a 96 Prelude? I'd like to be able to run 3 amps, 2 for subs. But I doubt the stock alternator will be able to put out enough.

Any suggestions on what ampperage alternator I should replace it with and brand/price?
Old 12-23-2002, 09:30 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

I could only find a high output alt for a 97-01 prelude.... maybe you can fit it in your ride?? (dunno)
http://www.4alterstart.com/pages/sto...putalternators

you could always get it rewound for higher output, but remember horsepower may suffer
Old 12-23-2002, 12:36 PM
illusion

Default Re: new alternator suggestion

Originally posted by clickwir
Anyone have a suggestion of a replacement alternator for a 96 Prelude? I'd like to be able to run 3 amps, 2 for subs. But I doubt the stock alternator will be able to put out enough.

Any suggestions on what ampperage alternator I should replace it with and brand/price?
what amps, what subs? saying 3 amp is arbitrary, you could have 3 flea market "1000w" amps that pull 20amps on a good day, or you could have 3 orion 2100 hcca that would crush a stock electrical system, pulling 875-100amps each. There's several companies that make aftermarket alternators, If you want big and custom there's plenty of those. One thing with an alternator, if you're overstressing it, you'll know, I killed my OEM alternator when it was barely 3 months old, and I was overstressing it much, stock was 105A, on an onry day my system pulls 145amps, guess I had a few too many onry days. Give alterstart a call and see what they can do for you, that's what I'm running in my car, and it's been two year with no troubles, well aside from my car falling apart because of the bass. Also you might want to look into getting a batcap(or another stiffening device) and/or at least upgrading your stock battery(if you haven't already)