Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Subwoofer modification?

Old 12-19-2002, 05:32 PM
Ochdx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer modification?

This isnt actually a car audio question, it is actually a home audio
question, but i figured ill ask anyway.

I currently have a sony subwoofer, this one to be exact:
Sony SA-WM20

As you guys see by the pricetag, this woofer sucks at best. I am thinking about replacing just the woofer inside of it with a better quality one. The speakers I am using are Micro Nucleus sattelites, here's the link:

Micro Satellite Specifications

My question is, which 8" woofer should i replace the cheap sony's one?
Old 12-19-2002, 08:14 PM
97teg

I dunno but 50 watts may be on the low end. You could try to diy and and out a new woofer in but I would sugget buying a sub amp and a 10 or maybe even a pair. I have two car 10's with a 250 watt amp and star wars rocks. The first thing i would recomend if you want to change the 8 is measuring the air space to narrow the choices down. www.partsexpress.com or www.speakercity.com May have a subwoofer that fits in the air space.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:44 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

www.parts-express.com that little dash makes a difference!

I'll tell you what... if you really want more bass, dont fool around with the sony... if you can afford it, go to parts express and get their 10" Titanic powered sub kit... its kinda fun to put together (all 30 minutes it takes) and the sound is fukin amazing! I got one for my parents... WOW comes to mind!! Their statement about the woofer putting out 114db at full power and not distorting is totally true! I'd say it plays louder than that!! Its also kinda cool to see a speaker with a 14mm xmax (28mm peak to peak) play... it looks like its gonna jump out and hit you!!

If you really want to upgrade the woofer, do like he said, find the internal volume (L x W x H / 1728) ...say the internal dimensions are 12 x 14 x 10... that comes out to .9722222, or .97 cubic feet. If you get their (parts express) catalog, they have a table that shows optimum enclosure volume and type for each of their woofers. I really suggest upgrading the whole sub if you can, and stick that Sony in your bedroom or hook it up to your computer or something.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:45 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

btw, make sure you can take the sub's grille off first... cheaper things like that tend to have a fixed grille, which will make it a bytch to change the woofer, or even find the volume.